Job during College.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acslater99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I will be starting college this Fall and was wondering If It was a good idea to keep the job I currently have. Actually I have 2 jobs one Is Flex and the other is Full time, the Full time job is a Nursing home where I work in the kitchen cleaning dishes, getting the tray's ready for the customers etc.

The problem is I was thinking last night while I was working how I would be able to work here and go to school. I work 12-8 p.m everyday and only have 1 day off a week (which is random) and It's literally physically and mentally draining, by the time I get home I just don't have the energy to do anything. I don't feel like quitting because I don't want to seem like a failure to my family because they got so excited when I got this job, which is a very hard job to get I must add.

Also the second job is not the problem because I usually only work 1-2 times a week.

I've talked to my mom and she didn't say anything so I have no place else to go and just decided to see If anyone here ever had the same problem as I do.

I appreciate all advice given. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can either get your hours reduced or quit. Working from 12-8 for six days a week is not going to be compatible with attending college full time. If you do neither and continue under this weird delusion of having this glorified dish-washing job, then you're going to be a failure from all the classes you'll bomb.

Hi all, I will be starting college this Fall and was wondering If It was a good idea to keep the job I currently have. Actually I have 2 jobs one Is Flex and the other is Full time, the Full time job is a Nursing home where I work in the kitchen cleaning dishes, getting the tray's ready for the customers etc.

The problem is I was thinking last night while I was working how I would be able to work here and go to school. I work 12-8 p.m everyday and only have 1 day off a week (which is random) and It's literally physically and mentally draining, by the time I get home I just don't have the energy to do anything. I don't feel like quitting because I don't want to seem like a failure to my family because they got so excited when I got this job, which is a very hard job to get I must add.

Also the second job is not the problem because I usually only work 1-2 times a week.

I've talked to my mom and she didn't say anything so I have no place else to go and just decided to see If anyone here ever had the same problem as I do.

I appreciate all advice given. Thanks

Working in the nursing home fulltime is a terrible idea. I'd quit the job and focus on your academics. Not sure why your family is excited with you working as a dishwasher in a nursing home. I'd look for a much better job if you're insistent. You're submitting yourself to unproductive slave labor that won't help you at all in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly intend on being a student then you have to make that your priority. But with that schedule I question when you'd even have time to attend class. That's 50 hours a week. Why would a full time student work more than full time? Seems a bit silly.

Also. I don't see how washing dishes in a nursing home is anything to get super excited about. I mean it might be a nice job. But that seems excessive and unnecessary and its not like it applies to future career goals. If money is that much of an issue then take out loans. I'm sure you can find a more manageable work schedule.

I agree with what others have been saying. I don't think you'll be able to continue with the full time job and be a full time student at the same time. Not if you want to keep your grades up.

My advice: focus solely on school (and a few, low-key extracurricular) for your first semester or two. This will allow you to adapt to college classes and see how much time you have to put in. You can then find a part-time job (probably somewhere on campus, close to your classes). You might also see if your school has some type of work-study program, perhaps you could do research or something.

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Your parents should understand that school is your number one priority. They should respect your decision in wanting to do everything possible to have the best grades. They would only see you as a failure if you crash and burn in school due to this job, and dish washing becomes a career. That would be the greatest tragedy of all.

You can't turn back time, so drop this trainwreck waiting to happen before it's too late.

I agree with what everybody has been saying. Don't keep this job just to avoid "disappointing" your folks. Explain to them that this kind of work schedule is not compatible with doing well in school.