Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Job during gap year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by QuinnTheEskimo, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. QuinnTheEskimo

QuinnTheEskimo

Pre-Medical
    I am expecting to enter medical school in August. I've had a lot of trouble securing a paying job (scribe, etc) because they all require at least 1 year commitment.

Anyone have any recommendations? I would like to earn some $$$ and I am open to anything. Thinking of getting my bar-tending license.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. aishtr1295

aishtr1295 2+ Year Member

Look for temp jobs; they do 6 month contracts

QuinnTheEskimo likes this.
  4. BlueLabel

BlueLabel 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Part of it comes down to how ethical you're willing to be. In theory, you could accept a position while describing your future plans vaguely. "Eventually I want to go to med school and be a doctor" e.g. is technically true although it neglects to mention that you've already been accepted for the fall. Not saying I recommend this, but it's just a slightly unethical option to consider.

Tending bar is a sweet gig provided you work some place busy. Can make a lot of money, especially if you have some experience, although to an extent this depends on your location.

5. AquiVoy13

AquiVoy13

Pre-Medical
    You could always try to find a tutoring gig. No hard feelings if you leave in April/May/June because that's when the semester ends for students.

6. SN12357

SN12357 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Temping, tutoring, retail, food service...you're already into medical school so don't bother with something related to medicine. Those jobs aren't going to want someone who is leaving in 6 months anyway.

Pretty sure most places aren't going to want a rookie bartender who is going to leave, either. The serving jobs are more transient and require less training.

7. QuinnTheEskimo

QuinnTheEskimo

Pre-Medical
    That's the thing...I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, but I have 9 II, so I am assuming that unless I completely suck at life, i SHOULD be able to turn one of those into an acceptance.

But it makes me want to continue to do medical things, just in case.

8. Pacna

Pacna Dyslexics, untie! 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think you have to disclose outright your future plans. If they ask, by all means tell them, but it's not unheard of to work at a place for 2 weeks before finding a better job. That's essentially what you're doing.

9. Odi

Odi

Pre-Medical
    I'm a server at a fine dining restaurant and I make a great living for working only part-time weekends. I've worked bar-tending too but I find serving more enjoyable.

I couldn't find a job related to my degree no matter how hard I searched (Biochem).

lol @ school

10. darkjedi

darkjedi how did this get here I am not good with computer 7+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    whats wrong with a 1 year commitment? Start in May, end in May, you still have time to do some neat stuff for 2 months before med school.

11. QuinnTheEskimo

QuinnTheEskimo

Pre-Medical
    I applied this cycle and I am hoping to start school in August 2014.

About the ads