Job During M1 Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

is0632894

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if it would be advisable to get a Resident assistant job at my apartment complex next year. It is a 15-20 hour a week commitment and I get a rent discount on top of being paid. Is that a poor decision? I sit at a desk during those 15-20 hours so when I am not doing anything I could be studying, but I don't know if that commitment can be done during M1 year. I just really would like to save money if possible. Thoughts?

Thanks for input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I was wondering if it would be advisable to get a Resident assistant job at my apartment complex next year. It is a 15-20 hour a week commitment and I get a rent discount on top of being paid. Is that a poor decision? I sit at a desk during those 15-20 hours so when I am not doing anything I could be studying, but I don't know if that commitment can be done during M1 year. I just really would like to save money if possible. Thoughts?

Thanks for input.

If you're really just sitting there doing nothing, then what's the point of the job for the uni? Anyway, you have no idea how much study time you'll need yet. It'll differ for everyone. If you could postpone until after your first 1-2 exams, then you could determine if you have enough time. In my opinion, it isn't worth it. If you have a few "extra hours" per week, spend it on working out and keeping yourself sane with a hobby.

Sure, jobs aren't terrible for M1 year. I've been working 16-20 hours a week at a job where I can't study and I still have time to work out and haven't come close to failing anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Risky... You only find out it's too much to handle when you start performing poorly in med school.

What are the 'exit conditions' for the job?

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I think it would be manageable. It depends on you though, some people struggle more than others during m1. I say go for it but have an exit strategy as doktormom wisely pointed out!

Depends how flexible those hours are. If you can work them around all of your dedicated med school events it seems like a reasonable proposition for M1/M2

I would wait at least a month into M1 before you take on additional responsibilities.

You won't know how much time you'll need to learn the material well, and piling on activities before starting can be a recipe for disaster..

At my school you're not allowed to have a job, I might have even had to sign something saying I wouldn't get one. So you might want to make sure it's even possible before you decide it's a good or bad idea.

I personally wouldn't. The job may be mostly be sitting and studying but if you are unlucky you'll inevitably be running around doing stupid stuff you don't have time for right before a big test.

I am working as a paramedic during my first year of school. But, I don't take shifts for the two days prior to an exam or practical. It's definitely doable but you obviously need to have some good time management skills and plan your work hours accordingly. Some days we have a few calls and I get a ton of studying done at the station. Other days I wasn't as lucky!

Edit: spelling/autocorrect

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Jesus people, its <20 hours per week where he's sitting a desk doing nothing. Take the job. My school pays people to do the same thing for the library and it's a pretty sweet gig.