Job during pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

927ss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering I have to bring in some type of income while being a premed, actually I am going on my second semester of my freshman year, sounds weird I graduated early. Anyway I was thinking to take a semester off and get some training to be an EMT because I am a semester ahead. Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

I took 2 full semesters "off" to work full time, but I still took some classes, researched, volunteered...etc at the same time. I'm not very informed on this, but I don't think getting EMT certified and working as one would require you to take a whole semester off of school completely.

Zuerst said:
I took 2 full semesters "off" to work full time, but I still took some classes, researched, volunteered...etc at the same time. I'm not very informed on this, but I don't think getting EMT certified and working as one would require you to take a whole semester off of school completely.

I agree, it seems like overkill and might be something you'll have to expain later when it could be easily avoided. Take a summer course or one over your winter break. I took a three week course and it's definitely the best way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know someone who took an EMT class during the summer, he worked nights as some sort of CNA or PCT before getting certified while taking a full semester's worth of classes at the same time (insane i know, he had no life). i dont know how successful he was at getting an EMT job though. But its doable to get certified over a summer or less..

also a good way to make money is to do work doing research..which is what i did. and i'm getting a publication out of it.

I took my EMT course during the semester- it was offered in the evenings twice a week, and every other Saturday. If you're afraid it will interfere with coursework, take a lighter semester (which shouldn't be a problem if you're ahead) and you should be able to do it no problem.

I worked full time during my undegrad. My advice is do not kill yourself with work only if you really need it....I had to do it since that was a time when I just got to US...anyway I would say according to what I see medical schools do not care if you worked full time during your undegrad, all game about numbers, and to get good numbers you have to study.