Job Earnings PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marsdgrove33133

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there people. I was looking on this site and I notice that there aren’t any job earnings for a PsyD posted.:( I have read almost all of the links that have been posted however no salaries. Can someone tell me how much someone with a PsyD degree can earn in different fields? For example: Child Psych, Industrial/organizational, Hospital, etc.

Mars

Members don't see this ad.

Without having any really helpful information, I would imagine that a PsyD would receive a similar salary to a PhD in most non-research related fields. But again, this is without any actual information to back it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, no difference in degrees in clinical settings. If you want more info on psychologist salaries, check out research.apa.org.

I haven't checked lately, but some of the salaries can be depressingly low (local mental health center), though most people do not do just one thing. I'm going back into business, so unless I can make a couple hundred grand doing strictly clinical work....i'll never just do one thing. :laugh:

-t

Thanks for the info guys. I have another question its basically “what would you do?” I am done with my bachelors in Health Science with a minor in Biology and Health Administration and Psychology next semester. Finally!!:D Anyway, my brother is finishing med-school and plans on doing a Psych residency; he wants to do Child Psych. Now I will be applying soon for graduate school however I am undecided between Physician Assistant and Psy D. My brother wants me to go for the PsyD and work with him. I looked into Physician Assistant and basically know what to expect however I would like to know what you guys think about the PsyD and working with a Child Psych. What would I expect? Pros and Cons? Opinions? :confused:

Thanks Again

Mars:thumbup:

PAs and PsyDs are completely different areas, and they do completely different things. I think it is important to figure out what you want to do, and then look at which degree fits that path the best.

There is a PA forum here, and I think it is worth checking out to get their input also.

-t

I haven't checked lately, but some of the salaries can be depressingly low (local mental health center), though most people do not do just one thing. I'm going back into business, so unless I can make a couple hundred grand doing strictly clinical work....i'll never just do one thing. :laugh:

-t

although in general community mental health clinics' pays are relatively low for their clinicians (e.g. LCSW), they have decent pay for psychologist who supervise and become administrators (they want the psychologist's license to bill)... actually, if you are an administrator at a community agency, you get payed very well... don't let the image that community clinics reflect full ya... they bring in the bucks... more than the hospitals... some clinics, especially if they have special contracts with the city can bring in as much as $500,000 every two months! but off course, administration does not use the money to pay their clinicians as much, and also they don't improve the physical space of their clinics to reflect their income in order to keep their "community" look. Top administrators use the money God knows how, I heard a CEO of one agency actually has a separate residence paid by the agency and gets driven around in a van that looks crappy from the outside but is more than nice in the inside... ideally psychologists should get more involved with administration in these settings and attempt to implement changes within... but it's a battle.... we lost this long ago when we didn't protect our turf...

although in general community mental health clinics' pays are relatively low for their clinicians (e.g. LCSW), they have decent pay for psychologist who supervise and become administrators (they want the psychologist's license to bill)... actually, if you are an administrator at a community agency, you get payed very well... don't let the image that community clinics reflect full ya... they bring in the bucks... more than the hospitals... some clinics, especially if they have special contracts with the city can bring in as much as $500,000 every two months! but off course, administration does not use the money to pay their clinicians as much, and also they don't improve the physical space of their clinics to reflect their income in order to keep their "community" look. Top administrators use the money God knows how, I heard a CEO of one agency actually has a separate residence paid by the agency and gets driven around in a van that looks crappy from the outside but is more than nice in the inside... ideally psychologists should get more involved with administration in these settings and attempt to implement changes within... but it's a battle.... we lost this long ago when we didn't protect our turf...

If a community agency made 250,000 a month or 3 million a year, I dont think the avg. psychologist salary would still be sub 6 figures. THanks for the humor though :cool:

While I'm sure there may be the occasional extreme exception that you note where a CEO "has a separate residence paid by the agency" (how this would ever get by an auditor is beyond me, which would directly affect the city's bond rating, which would directly affect its future financial performance), most clinics are not rolling in the dough. Their physical facilities and the salaries paid to their professional staff reflect the fact that they are often caring for the most extreme and poorest of their community (who neither have insurance nor other healthcare coverage), and have little outside of government funding (ie, our taxes) to help fund their efforts.

I've worked in a few geographically diverse clinics over the years and they were pretty much all the same -- making ends meet serving a diverse, generally low SES population.

There are dozens of threads here and lots of websites which discuss salary averages for clinicians practicing in the field right out of school, after 10 years, and after 20+ years. Six figures in many parts of the country is not unheard of, if you can find a healthy group, private hospital, or similar kind of practice.

John

If a community agency made 250,000 a month or 3 million a year, I dont think the avg. psychologist salary would still be sub 6 figures. THanks for the humor though :cool:

it's no humor, most psychologist don't know all the details or we think we are too good to look into community mental health. Most of psychologists have not been "in" on it, city often give special contracts to clinics who are willing to see inpatient discharges as priority intakes, meaning, they have to be given an intake within 5-7 days; in return, the agencies get approximately $300+ (over their $40 medicaid regular payment but have to do tons of paper work off course) for the sessions and we are talking about medicaid pts here. How many pt's do you think city hospital discharge a week? you do the math... now, there's a cap as to how much an agency can bill medicaid, that's negotiated, it could be 2 to 3 mil, you can bill over that amount but will have to be returned, but in stages, so the agency keeps the money in a high yield interest account and return portions of the overbilled amount as requested in stages.

And we all thought that psychologist are pretty smart huh? face it, most psychologists are not good business people. We think about providing good quality services, that can be measured by tools with solid properties. Do you really think that administrators care about that? That's why psychologists don't get hired for their worth because at the end, the city doesn't care either. We all know it, it's all about money, that's why psychologist get paid sub 6 figures. Most psychologist who work in community clinics are being hired for 'supervision' and for their licenses so other master's level clinicians can be bill under them.

how they use the money, well, they can channel it to other services, budget it, sometimes creatively, and present it to the city. We all know that this world is not so black and white? most CEO of large social service agencies are tied to politicians. Why do you think certain clinics can get these highly desired contracts in the first place and other can't; or others don't even know about them!

Just think about how poorly have the billions of $ designated for 9/11 and katrina have been spent. Huge amount of monies were almost simply given away to these agencies. All they had to do was to come up with some creative way to spend it, like coming up with an outreach program.
There were hardly any outcome measures required and very liberal auditing. The pressure was for the gov to spend the money and to show that things are being done. That was it. I distinctively recall one of the top administrators from such agency wishing quietly that Katrina happened in their state in order to get that money.

And we all thought that psychologist are pretty smart huh? face it, most psychologists are not good business people.

I've already started researching the feasibility of doing professional consulting for psychologists....a biz 101, and then more specialized work setting up offices, leasing space, outsourcing billing, etc. So far i've found that most psychologists suck at biz...but what is more important, they don't WANT to deal with a lot of what comes with running your own practice.

-t