navyerdoc

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
I am a board certified US Emergency Medicine physician and trying to find a job in Germany. Does anyone have information on American physicians working in Germany? I know about working at Landstuhl as a contractor but trying to find other options if this doesn't work out.

Mar 1, 2012
Status
Medical Student
sorry i cant help you,but am just curios why leave the USA and come to Germany ? , in USA i heard doctors have a high pay (minim 150K per year) while in Germany doctors are running away to Switzerland and Holland and Nordic countries because of the poor pay (facharzt pay is about 60k euro =about 85k dollar i think/year) ... .. i am in a dilemma right now because i am studying for the Step1 and also learning German because i dont know where it is better!. hope i didnt annoy you, but if you have time to answer my question please,i would be grateful :).

med_heidelberg

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Fluency in German is key to landing a job if it is not on a military base. In this case, your US medical training would have to be recognized as equivalent by the medical board in whichever state you work, and this should be no problem at all of course. EM in Germany is a bit different in that EM docs will work in the field as well and drive their own emergency vehicles around. If you are looking to work at a military base, I imagine it is different and you may not need to speak German to get one of those jobs since you will be working mainly with American patients.

About the Ads

navyerdoc

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
ahmedd- I'm moving to Germany for love. I know how that sounds, but it's true. I'm not so much concerned about money anymore. It doesn't have to be a great job, but I do need a job.

med-heidelberg- I am in the military right now and have pretty good contacts in that area but haven't found any open spots yet (like Landstuhl). If I learned German to the level they require, do you know where I would start to try and get licensed in a particular state? Is there a website/contact for the medical boards? I'm working on my German and want to make sure I would meet the other requirements. Thanks for the help.

med_heidelberg

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ahmedd- I'm moving to Germany for love. I know how that sounds, but it's true. I'm not so much concerned about money anymore. It doesn't have to be a great job, but I do need a job.

med-heidelberg- I am in the military right now and have pretty good contacts in that area but haven't found any open spots yet (like Landstuhl). If I learned German to the level they require, do you know where I would start to try and get licensed in a particular state? Is there a website/contact for the medical boards? I'm working on my German and want to make sure I would meet the other requirements. Thanks for the help.
I would try to first get a job in the military since you have contacts there, etc. Also you wouldn't need to know German and deal with German bureaucracy with regards to getting a license, etc. I am not too familiar with the various bases but I do know there are others in Germany besides Landstuhl, such as Kaiserslautern, Schweinfurt, etc. Hopefully there is a base near your significant other.

If you want to practice in Germany then you'd need to be pretty good in German. Attaining a good level of German would take 1-2 years of full immersion in Germany with an accompanying language course. Many patients come from the countryside and their dialect is difficult to understand. Also you would need to be able to write patient notes, etc. all in German. Although most physicians understand and speak some English, everything in the hospitals is conducted in German. German is not the easiest language to learn but it is definitely doable. If you have learned other foreign languages already, that helps a lot since you'll have a mental structure in place to approach learning German.

In order to get a medical license, you would need to contact the Landespruefungsamt for each state you are interested in. I am only familiar with Baden-Wuerttemberg. The person responsible for handling the medical license for foreign physicians there is Frau Holzwarth:

[email protected]
Tel. 0711 904-39217

http://www.rp.baden-wuerttemberg.de/servlet/PB/menu/1071540/index.html

It seems that they now require a German language test for foreign physicians with emphasis on patient communication:

http://www.rp.baden-wuerttemberg.de/servlet/PB/show/1333830/rps-ref92-arzt-antr-appr-sprachtest.pdf

If you are interested in other German states, then I would try googling the name of the state and "Landespruefungsamt fuer Medizin" or "Approbation Auslaender Medizin" or "Berufserlaubnis Auslaender Medizin"... something like that. Good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

About the Ads