Job Hunting after DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I quit my last job to study for the DAT, and now I'm applying for a new position. Those of you who have work experience - would you mention in your cover letter that the reason you were unemployed was due to DAT studying? I'm sure it's going to come out if I land any interviews, but do you think this would help or hurt me to get it right out there so they don't wonder?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just make sure that when you are interviewing that their company is the most important thing and not dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
But to answer your question, only talk about it if they ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I wouldn't mention the break on the cover letter. If they bring you in for an interview and they raised the question, then I would proceed to answer it.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks all! I will leave it off :). I appreciate the help.

If only there were employment options that took dat scores into whether or not you get the job
haha when I was searching for answers to this question I did come across 2 people asking where they should put their MCAT scores on their resumes (these were for non-medical jobs) lmao!

Reactions: 1 user
After graduating with my masters I realized only much later that by, stating in my interviews, that I was applying to dental school I was killing my chances. I started being ambiguous and stating eventually I would look into dental school, as it is extremely expensive. I landed a job about 2 weeks later, and just got promoted after 6 months saying the exact same thing :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
After graduating with my masters I realized only much later that by, stating in my interviews, that I was applying to dental school I was killing my chances. I started being ambiguous and stating eventually I would look into dental school, as it is extremely expensive. I landed a job about 2 weeks later, and just got promoted after 6 months saying the exact same thing :D.
That's not a bad idea. I just don't know how to explain why I left my last job though if not for the DAT. Would it sound weird to just say something generic about taking some extra classes or focusing on higher education?

Depends on the field. If you're looking at dentistry-related employment, it's totally fine to mention that you were studying for the DAT. However, any other unrelated field, especially if it's full-time/salaried at a corp, I would not mention it, especially if it's something like biotech or sales. I'd come up with a generic excuse.
Thanks! Right now I'm trying to get something dental (DA, dental lab tech) but I'd really love to get into a research lab. Do you have any experience with getting into a research position?

Thanks! Right now I'm trying to get something dental (DA, dental lab tech) but I'd really love to get into a research lab. Do you have any experience with getting into a research position?

I interviewed for multiple. The pay is subpar, and some want to give you a beeper for on call work. Its hard to get into any science field, however, without experience. Research as an entry assistant, however, is more probable. I think the slave hours, work and pay outweighed the benefits of putting it down on a app.

For the research positions, I'd make sure those jobs don't have a full 2 year contract if you're looking into matriculating into DS next year. I have a friend who's in a research position and had to sign the 2 year contract to stay. I'm not sure if that's the same for other research positions though, but just wanted to mention that anyway Have you applied this cycle?