Job Hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastymellows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate in 6 mos and am beginning to look for jobs in specific large, urban area. I have spoken to a few recruiters who do not have any job listings in area, which is a surprise since I know this is an in demand area for primary MDs.

What other resources are available to us besides recruiters and online physician job sites like practicelink and practicealert?

Do hospitals have resources for physicians seeking employment? Who would I ask for if I were to call a hospital to do this, human resources?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody has anything to share? Wow, I'm surprised

Blue Dog, where ya at?

Sorry, I'm not an expert on job hunting. I joined a local group after residency.

In general, I think it's better to narrow down your geographic preference and focus your search there, which you're doing.

Be sure to check with your state's AAFP chapter. They usually have a partial listing of job opportunities in the state.

Recruiters can sometimes be useful, but I think it's better to do your own legwork. It costs employers money to use recruiters, so many of them won't go that route. They'll list the job opening in various places, or fill it through word of mouth. Not uncommonly, they'll have a "pipeline" of applicants who they'll contact when they have openings come up, so sometimes a job may never be advertised.

Depending on the type of job you're looking for, you should identify who your potential employers are (hospitals/health systems, local practices, etc.) and start making some contacts. Even the Yellow Pages can serve as a starting point. Just because there isn't a job opportunity posted doesn't mean they don't have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for input.

I guess I'm on my own w/ this one.

I have some great ideas to get the ball rolling. If anybody else is in the same boat and wants to bounce around ideas let me know.

BD- you always give great advice, thanks, I'm going to pass this on to my SO. Great christmas gear btw :)...LOL! :roflcopter:

Every hospital has a human resources dept with personnel geared toward medical staff recruiting. You can start there if there is a specific hospital you are looking to work for. Usually the web site has a contact person you can call or email. Otherwise if its a small clinic then you would just have to call the clinic director to see if they are looking for another doctor.

I have always used recruiters but then wasn't picky about where I went really.

You might try to get seen in an area by doing locums work first and get to know the other docs in that area.

You also have to look at whether your goal is to be there permanently and looking at a possible partner opportunity in a practice or do you want to be an employee of a facility so you can up an leave without any strings in the future.