Job Ideas for a MD with a year off before residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Had to take some time off for a family health crisis and am now graduating on a weird timeline. I'll basically finish my requirements a few months after my classmates and will be left with almost a year off while I apply to residency next cycle. Anyone know of any jobs I could get without any residency experience during that time? I was thinking maybe I could teach courses at community college or something.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

It has come up before, December graduate. I advocated for just delay graduation so you’re with “regular” graduates.

IIRC, some people didn’t think it mattered. I’d travel or do something that you wanted to do, since you won’t have much “free time” for a long long long time.

Reactions: 2 users
If you did really well in med school, can tutor for a number of companies, or privately on tutoring platforms. There are also ways to get a limited license in some states even with no residency; you would be able to work in a single location, such as a nursing home, under an attending.Basically like an NP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took a research year due to a high risk pregnancy at a school with an accelerated curriculum and dedicated research time. See if your school will allow you to delay graduation for research opportunities. It will help your application, and maybe allow you to network at conferences (if COVID permits). Otherwise, see if you can get a job in paid research.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

Had to take some time off for a family health crisis and am now graduating on a weird timeline. I'll basically finish my requirements a few months after my classmates and will be left with almost a year off while I apply to residency next cycle. Anyone know of any jobs I could get without any residency experience during that time? I was thinking maybe I could teach courses at community college or something.

Thanks for any input!

Since you'll be applying to residency with your time off, your work experience can still be used as a resume builder. Especially since PDs will ask what you've been doing with your time.

If money isn't horribly important, you can look to getting research jobs at the hospitals you'd like to match into. But look towards jobs geared towards building your experience in medicine and ideally networking with the programs you may be interested in.

You should absolutely delay graduation .
US Seniors are the target population for PD's.
To illustrate what the wise gyngyn is talking about, look at the bias PDs have in, say, Gen Surg for MD graduates as opposed to MD seniors:

1600200803998.png

Reactions: 2 users
To illustrate what the wise gyngyn is talking about, look at the bias PDs have in, say, Gen Surg for MD graduates as opposed to MD seniors:

View attachment 318391

Wow, I didn't realize this would hurt me so much. Technically, I will be a December 2021 graduate. They're considering me a part of the class below me, 2022. Since I'll be applying to the match cycle submitting ERAS in September 2021, wouldn't I still be considered a MD Senior at that time?

Wow, I didn't realize this would hurt me so much. Technically, I will be a December 2021 graduate. They're considering me a part of the class below me, 2022. Since I'll be applying to the match cycle submitting ERAS in September 2021, wouldn't I still be considered a MD Senior at that time?
Ask your registrar.

I agree, if possible the best job is doing research at your school. I'm sure it hurts money wise, but in the long run it's probably the best route if you can afford spring tuition.