Job ideas for Pre-Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reichhorn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering a career in medicine, and I intend to apply to med school in the summer of 2005. Since I have no experience in the medical field, I was wondering if someone could suggest the titles of some entry level jobs that will expose me to medical careers.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

CNA, phlebotomist, EMT, they all require certification but it's sort of easy to get. Or you can work outside of medicine and volunteer in a hospital/clinic.

reichhorn said:
I am considering a career in medicine, and I intend to apply to med school in the summer of 2005. Since I have no experience in the medical field, I was wondering if someone could suggest the titles of some entry level jobs that will expose me to medical careers.

Thanks

I am an ED Tech and I love it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a retractor holder in the OR. Its a pretty sweet job, you should look into doing it.

I'm a phlebotomist and it didn't require any certification for me...just on the job training. A lot of hospitals hire student phlebotomists and ER techs, I'm gonna be an ER tech next :D I will tell you that my job has really shown me what hospitals are all about and what you'll have to deal with. I found my job by just calling up HR and asking what types of jobs they'd hire students for, or you could also ask older pre-meds how they got experience. The trick when trying to get one of these jobs is to be persistant with the hospital, to get my Tech job I had to call up the actual dept because HR was no help! So...that's my advice to you in a nutshell :) PM me if you want any advice!