Job Market and Average Salary???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cvpmvp33

hello all,
I was wondering if there is a positive outlook for jobs in the future, because it seems that there arent plenty jobs available. Also, what is the average salary, lets say for Illinois or Florida???

Members don't see this ad.

The job outlook for the profession is good nationally. A commonly cited reason for the increasing future need of audiologists is the aging baby boomer population. If you confine yourself to a small geographic region, finding a job may prove more difficult. This is not because there isn't a national demand but rather because we are such a small profession. Plenty of good jobs are available but willingness to relocate is often a requisite for finding that ideal dream job. Pay is most likely going to be between 45 to 55 k in the midwest. Its not bad ( a little bit less than psychologists) but its not commensurate with the amount of years education. On the upside to audiology training vs other programs, I believe audiology training is less stressful (prob less rigorous also). If you are interested in research, I would choose either one of the few remaining clinical PhD programs or an AuD/PhD program. If you are interested in solely clinical practice, the AuD program replaced the masters program. In Indiana, there is Indiana University and I think Bloomington University. Ball State and Rush are also in the general area. There are prob mor programs in that area also. As far as the future of the profession, current legislation that is trying to be passed is Medicare direct access. This would allow audologists to be reimbursed by Medicare without physician referral. I believe if this passes in the nect few years, it will open the floodgates for our field and help us in many ways. I'm not sure when or if it will pass (ENTs are fighting it) so I guess only time will tell.