SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Job market for D.O. in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by toothless rufus, Jun 14, 2008.

1. toothless rufus

toothless rufus 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ok, so it seems that it is impossible to land a residency actually in sf as a DO, but how difficult is it to find employment?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. igcgnerd

igcgnerd Hawkeye 10+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Really cus depending on the residency there a a good number of DO's. Take internal medicine for instance there are plenty of DO's at SF kaiser, St mary's, California pacific....
  4. toothless rufus

Dec 17, 2004
    Oh, that's cool! I must have missed sf kaiser when I checked the program's residents webpage, and I was especially interested in California Pacific that didn't list their residents. I wonder if their psychiatry program takes DOs? I'm undecided still, but interested in IM (hospitalist), psych, or maybe PM&R. Who knows! Thanks!
  5. rockdascrubs786

rockdascrubs786 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2008
    I'm sure its not hard for a DO to find work in SF....its in America.
  6. igcgnerd

Apr 3, 2006
    Well PM and R never has a shortage of DO residents. I can't speak to SF specifically but Davis has them. Half of the NYU PMR residents are from NYCOM.
  7. JaggerPlate

JaggerPlate 10+ Year Member

May 28, 2007
    The same as it is for an MD ... not hard. Doctors are always in demand.
  8. TexasTriathlete

TexasTriathlete HTFU 5+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2007
    The ATL
    Most DO's cannot get jobs, and they end up working as baristas at starbucks. And that's cool, because starbucks is a good company that treats their employees well.

Posted via Mobile Device
  9. toothless rufus

Dec 17, 2004

Ok, cool. I am just concerned because sf seems to be such a MD dominated place in terms of residencies that it might also spill over into difficulties finding a job as well. I'm in sf right now visiting friends, and I just might want to move here someday.I see that there are a fair number of DOs in nearby residencies outside the city though. Maybe I should go bug some DOs who work here, lol!
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  10. theserbatron

theserbatron put mo' chamomile on it 7+ Year Member

May 2, 2007
    Lone Star
    i've always wanted to have that gig, but never got around to it.
  11. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    I don't want to get involved with any drink that takes two full breaths to say.
  12. Lamborghini1315

Lamborghini1315 Sleep deprived 7+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2006
    From what i heard...california is notorious for being unwelcoming to out of state medical graduates. In regards to DO's..most of the DO's that find ample opportunities tend to be in state as well..idk this is what i was told by a bunch of good friends. CA has quite a lot of medical schools and i can see why they might not need an outside source for doctors..also they do have some of the most competitive residencies in the country.
  13. drusso

drusso Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 1998
    Over the rainbow
    There are DO's there. At least there were when I lived there in the heydey of the dot-com 1990's! Persevere.
  14. CorpuSpongiosum

CorpuSpongiosum Banned

Apr 27, 2008
    There is a special demand for OMM in the gay community specifically treating bath house accidents. Think Trazodone.
  15. Toothless, all 3 Kaiser IM programs in the Bay Area (Oakland, SF, and Santa Clara) currently have DO's in their residencies.
  16. igcgnerd

Apr 3, 2006
    Kaiser Oakland's peds had a DO chief resident last year along w/ their IM program.
  17. rddoms

rddoms 7+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2006
    A DO anesthesiologist that I met during undergrad got a fellowship in SF, and stayed there for work. She said that there are a lot more DO's than you would think.
  18. heech

heech Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2004
    In addition to all of the Kaiser programs... there are also a number of DO residents at the St. Mary's Internal Medicine program, also in SF. One of the chief residents last year was a DO.

And there's a huge number of DO residents all around the Bay Area, if you're not stuck in the city of SF itself. Alameda County Medical Center has numerous DOs, for example. Stanford has had several DOs.