Job market for D.O. in San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems that it is impossible to land a residency actually in sf as a DO, but how difficult is it to find employment?

Members don't see this ad.

Really cus depending on the residency there a a good number of DO's. Take internal medicine for instance there are plenty of DO's at SF kaiser, St mary's, California pacific....

Really cus depending on the residency there a a good number of DO's. Take internal medicine for instance there are plenty of DO's at SF kaiser, St mary's, California pacific....

Oh, that's cool! I must have missed sf kaiser when I checked the program's residents webpage, and I was especially interested in California Pacific that didn't list their residents. I wonder if their psychiatry program takes DOs? I'm undecided still, but interested in IM (hospitalist), psych, or maybe PM&R. Who knows! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure its not hard for a DO to find work in SF....its in America.

Oh, that's cool! I must have missed sf kaiser when I checked the program's residents webpage, and I was especially interested in California Pacific that didn't list their residents. I wonder if their psychiatry program takes DOs? I'm undecided still, but interested in IM (hospitalist), psych, or maybe PM&R. Who knows! Thanks!

Well PM and R never has a shortage of DO residents. I can't speak to SF specifically but Davis has them. Half of the NYU PMR residents are from NYCOM.

Ok, so it seems that it is impossible to land a residency actually in sf as a DO, but how difficult is it to find employment?

The same as it is for an MD ... not hard. Doctors are always in demand.

Most DO's cannot get jobs, and they end up working as baristas at starbucks. And that's cool, because starbucks is a good company that treats their employees well.

Posted via Mobile Device

The same as it is for an MD ... not hard. Doctors are always in demand.

Most DO's cannot get jobs, and they end up working as baristas at starbucks. And that's cool, because starbucks is a good company that treats their employees well.

Posted via Mobile Device

lol

Ok, cool. I am just concerned because sf seems to be such a MD dominated place in terms of residencies that it might also spill over into difficulties finding a job as well. I'm in sf right now visiting friends, and I just might want to move here someday.I see that there are a fair number of DOs in nearby residencies outside the city though. Maybe I should go bug some DOs who work here, lol!

Last edited:

Posted via Mobile Device

i've always wanted to have that gig, but never got around to it.

I don't want to get involved with any drink that takes two full breaths to say.

From what i heard...california is notorious for being unwelcoming to out of state medical graduates. In regards to DO's..most of the DO's that find ample opportunities tend to be in state as well..idk this is what i was told by a bunch of good friends. CA has quite a lot of medical schools and i can see why they might not need an outside source for doctors..also they do have some of the most competitive residencies in the country.

lol

Ok, cool. I am just concerned because sf seems to be such a MD dominated place in terms of residencies that it might also spill over into difficulties finding a job as well. I'm in sf right now visiting friends, and I just might want to move here someday.I see that there are a fair number of DOs in nearby residencies outside the city though. Maybe I should go bug some DOs who work here, lol!

There are DO's there. At least there were when I lived there in the heydey of the dot-com 1990's! Persevere.

There is a special demand for OMM in the gay community specifically treating bath house accidents. Think Trazodone.

Kaiser Oakland's peds had a DO chief resident last year along w/ their IM program.

A DO anesthesiologist that I met during undergrad got a fellowship in SF, and stayed there for work. She said that there are a lot more DO's than you would think.

In addition to all of the Kaiser programs... there are also a number of DO residents at the St. Mary's Internal Medicine program, also in SF. One of the chief residents last year was a DO.

And there's a huge number of DO residents all around the Bay Area, if you're not stuck in the city of SF itself. Alameda County Medical Center has numerous DOs, for example. Stanford has had several DOs.