Job market for doctors in NYC/LA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pocarisweat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is very specialty dependent but in general how saturated job market is for physicians in NYC and LA?
I have read that those are the most saturated areas but is it impossible to find a job in those cities? or is it possible with a highly reduced pay?
I know that this probably is not comparable because each specialty is different, but which, physicians or general dentists, would be easier to find a job in NYC/LA?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is very specialty dependent but in general how saturated job market is for physicians in NYC and LA?
I have read that those are the most saturated areas but is it impossible to find a job in those cities? or is it possible with a highly reduced pay?
I know that this probably is not comparable because each specialty is different, but which, physicians or general dentists, would be easier to find a job in NYC/LA?
Yeah it depends on the specialty. But in general you can "probably" find a job in most specialties but you'll likely have to sacrifice something like money, lifestyle, etc. I don't know anything about dentistry but I hear the oral maxillofacial surgeons do well.

Yes, but It's not only specialty dependent, but also dependent on how flexible within a specialty you are with regards to your practice focus. It also depends on what kind of job setting you are looking for (partnership track vs. highly specialized academics, etc.) If your willing to only settle for certain things, it'll make it harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need more replies/opinions!
Why? According to your status, you're "pre-health". It's going to be several more years before you are even looking for a job. I'm guessing around 5 years minimum. But possibly as many as 10+ years if you do longer specialties in medicine. A lot could change in that time! So I wouldn't worry as much about job saturation right now. I'd be more concerned with getting into med school or dentistry school.

As for med school vs. dentistry, my advice is pick based on other factors like personal interest (e.g. shadow doctors and dentists) and ability (e.g. ask friends, family, mentors who know you well and can be objective for their advice about which would better suit you), rather than on the perceived current job market saturation in LA and NYC.

Last edited:
Why? According to your status, you're "pre-health". It's going to be several more years before you are even looking for a job. I'm guessing around 5 years minimum. But possibly as many as 10+ years if you do longer specialties in medicine. A lot could change in that time! So I wouldn't worry as much about job saturation right now. I'd be more concerned with getting into med school or dentistry school.

As for med school vs. dentistry, my advice is pick based on other factors like personal interest (e.g. shadow doctors and dentists) and ability (e.g. ask friends, family, mentors who know you well and can be objective for their advice about which would better suit you), rather than on the perceived current job market saturation in LA and NYC.

GOT EEEEM

Reactions: 1 user
I would just work in NJ or CT if you want to be near NYC so bad

Here's a list that may interest you! Page 8 shows the highest demand for given specialties across a wide variety of target groups. For PCP/IM, saturation basically doesn't exist.