job market in baton rouge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halflife94

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the job market is like in baton rouge or Lafayette Louisiana. Who are the major players and is anyone hiring?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a major supergroup in Baton Rouge:

http://www.anesthesiologygroupassociates.com/

My only knowledge of Lafayette is from limited locums pre-Katrina at LSU Medical Center and at Lafayette General.

Like 10 anesthesiologists is nowhere near a major supergroup, but AG is a small group in Baton Rouge. There's an Ochsner group there too and a Parish subgroup (of the major supergroup) in BR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like 10 anesthesiologists is nowhere near a major supergroup, but AG is a small group in Baton Rouge. There's an Ochsner group there too and a Parish subgroup (of the major supergroup) in BR.

THey are the biggest group in Baton Rouge. Small only when you look at doc's but large with 70 nurses.

I worked for AG when I first graduated. I like the docs there. I also know some of the docs in Lafayette but I have no real knowledge of the groups. I wouldn't pretend to know everything going on with AG these days either. Actually Gypsy, there are 17 docs. They are busy for sure. They doubled their nurses since I left probably for many reasons.

Actually Gypsy, there are 17 docs.

True. I still wouldn't call it a super group, but it's a little bigger than I guessed.

What's good about AG is good starting pay with lots of vacation.

What's bad is that it's a two-teared group and they are hiring only to work at Our Lady of the Lake. You become a 'partner' in 2-3 years and get profit sharing, but only at the Lake where there are never profits. The REAL group keeps the cash-cow surgicenter (or private hospital?) to themselves. That would be bad enough, but they also have a number system for who goes home first. The real partners work late for big money at the surgery center one day then go to the Lake the next day, work for a few hours, and go home early since they worked the latest the day before. Doesn't really make sense that you should have to pick up the slack at the Lake when they aren't sharing any of the profits they made working late at the other facility.

I'm not saying it's a terrible job or anything, but anyone looking there should know that there isn't a real partnership track. I guess almost every group wants to take advantage of you. AG is probably no better or worse than other groups.

http://www.gaswork.com/post/129593
"Recruiting Cardiac, Pediatric or general anesthesiologists to practice at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center."

the above is the key phrase that you wouldn't even notice if you were just looking through the jobs on gaswork, but it's the most important line in the whole job listing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Gypsy, what's your connection?

My cousin's son's teacher's husband worked there. Does what they told me sound about right to you?

Just to make another comment- I think it's a pretty good gig if you are just starting out and don't want to stay in BR for more than a few years since you get good pay, good vacation, light call (night float) and the lack of a partnership track won't matter if you are moving anyway. I'd look at BR General (if they're ever hiring) if I was looking to stay in BR for more than 2-3 years.

Last edited:
My cousin's son's teacher's husband worked there. Does what they told me sound about right to you?

Just to make another comment- I think it's a pretty good gig if you are just starting out and don't want to stay in BR for more than a few years since you get good pay, good vacation, light call (night float) and the lack of a partnership track won't matter if you are moving anyway. I'd look at BR General (if they're ever hiring) if I was looking to stay in BR for more than 2-3 years.

That sound likes a good gig to get some experience and move on. Must be hard to stay in such a place when you know your "colleagues" are making so much more than you. This type of set up seems to be the norm in the tri-state area. Oh well, BFE awaits!

Stay very far from this place!!!! This group has a bad reputation for many good reasons. Over the years this group has lost a lot of young anesthesiologists who took this as their first job, many who left before 6 months! That is a huge reg flag. Why have so many people left this group in such a short period of time? If you trained in a good place and come here you are in for a big suprise. The problem in the anesthesia world is that you don't know about these groups and their history until it is too late. When you go there take a close look at how many crnas you will be supervising (ask about direct medical supervision). Walk into the ORs and see what you are dealing with and take a look at the equipment and facilities which are very outdated. Where the people in the group trained will speak volumes. The crnas control that place (the vast majority trained in Louisiana). If you try and "supervise" them they will make your life very difficult. The medical facilities there s...... it's Baton Rouge in one of the poorest states in the country they have no money. Lady of the Lake has a huge proportion of Medicare and indigent patients and you will not be working at surgery centers. Just ask them why so many people have left under a year. You will not get a straight answer. You will get a decent salary and vacation package but it does not make up for the environment you will be working in. Its a scary place period. Most anesthesiologists just coming out of training who take this job have some very good reason for doing so but save yourself the trouble it will cause you and don't do it. You have been warned!!!

I agree with the previous comments. This job has all the warning signs that they teach you in residency of a dysfunctional practice. Since many of the junior SDN members may not know what they are, I will review them.

1. Almost every single young anesthesiologist who has tried to join the group has left. This is illustrated by the large age gap between the "senior" partners and the few remaining "junior" employees. There is a tremendous NEED at the group for well trained anesthesiologists, the case load and complexity warrants it and the SURGEONS want it. The positive is, if you are skilled and work well with others the surgeons will appreciate it. Job security is being underpaid and overworked :)

2. The contract you sign is horrible for you and any decent lawyer will tell you this. The group will not negotiate because they will say... "its the same contract we have been using for years for our new hires..." When you leave...yes WHEN... you will have to purchase tail insurance coverage out of your own pocket or your new group's :)

3. The CRNA to MD ratio is quite high...., very, very high. Great learning experience for a new grad because you only have time to see the disasters..... You will get called to the room only after the CRNA has tried multiple times to solve the problem without mentioning it to you. This can be alleviated by CLEARLY explaining to the CRNAs what you would like to be informed of and regularly checking up on your cases as any good MD does. There are SOME very good CRNAs there who you will enjoy working with. However, you do have to preop the next case at some point....and then there is the patient that needs to be re-intubated in PACU and that next carotid to start......

4. As a junior employee, you have no clue how the billing system works, what bills they submit in your name, and are not even allowed to LISTEN at ANY group financial meeting. If you dont know any numbers then how do you know why you even bother to stick around. Dont even try to ask them about payer mix, Medicaid vs private pay, etc.... they will pretend not to know but its the same as everywhere else.... Private pay goes to the surgery center....everything else to the Lake.

5. The Lake has a CRNA school....essentially nurses teach nurses but you can only watch misinformation, poor techniques being taught for so long. The patients are under your care... take care of them like they were your family...Maintain a SAFE anesthetic regardless of SRNA "education"

6. Quality is measured in how fast the room turns over and how many cases get done...forget all the touchy stuff like pain control, PONV treatment, extubating when the drapes come down, etc... However the PQRI measures are followed like a hawk...we get a bonus after all...right?

The amazing thing is that the senior members in the group pretend to not know why everyone is leaving and that it has nothing to do with them. On an individual basis many of them are very nice. However a large number of them only need "a few more years....." till retirement and they are content to keep the status quo...after all jobs are hard to find and they get to make the golden rules because they have the gold.

So, final answer... if there are no other jobs out there....you can tolerate an obnoxious proportion of SEC fans on a daily basis.... really enjoy being challenged as a junior anesthesiologist and supervising 4+ CRNAs... don't mind the senior members skimming off your back with no hope of you returning the favor to another newbie....and can tolerate tension that you could cut with a knife on a daily basis then go for it....

Its a job where someone could really make a difference and provide great care for a tremendous number of people....and at least you have vacation....and there isnt any OB to worry about..

I agree with the previous comments. This job has all the warning signs that they teach you in residency of a dysfunctional practice. Since many of the junior SDN members may not know what they are, I will review them.

1. Almost every single young anesthesiologist who has tried to join the group has left. This is illustrated by the large age gap between the "senior" partners and the few remaining "junior" employees. There is a tremendous NEED at the group for well trained anesthesiologists, the case load and complexity warrants it and the SURGEONS want it. The positive is, if you are skilled and work well with others the surgeons will appreciate it. Job security is being underpaid and overworked :)

2. The contract you sign is horrible for you and any decent lawyer will tell you this. The group will not negotiate because they will say... "its the same contract we have been using for years for our new hires..." When you leave...yes WHEN... you will have to purchase tail insurance coverage out of your own pocket or your new group's :)

3. The CRNA to MD ratio is quite high...., very, very high. Great learning experience for a new grad because you only have time to see the disasters..... You will get called to the room only after the CRNA has tried multiple times to solve the problem without mentioning it to you. This can be alleviated by CLEARLY explaining to the CRNAs what you would like to be informed of and regularly checking up on your cases as any good MD does. There are SOME very good CRNAs there who you will enjoy working with. However, you do have to preop the next case at some point....and then there is the patient that needs to be re-intubated in PACU and that next carotid to start......

4. As a junior employee, you have no clue how the billing system works, what bills they submit in your name, and are not even allowed to LISTEN at ANY group financial meeting. If you dont know any numbers then how do you know why you even bother to stick around. Dont even try to ask them about payer mix, Medicaid vs private pay, etc.... they will pretend not to know but its the same as everywhere else.... Private pay goes to the surgery center....everything else to the Lake.

5. The Lake has a CRNA school....essentially nurses teach nurses but you can only watch misinformation, poor techniques being taught for so long. The patients are under your care... take care of them like they were your family...Maintain a SAFE anesthetic regardless of SRNA "education"

6. Quality is measured in how fast the room turns over and how many cases get done...forget all the touchy stuff like pain control, PONV treatment, extubating when the drapes come down, etc... However the PQRI measures are followed like a hawk...we get a bonus after all...right?

The amazing thing is that the senior members in the group pretend to not know why everyone is leaving and that it has nothing to do with them. On an individual basis many of them are very nice. However a large number of them only need "a few more years....." till retirement and they are content to keep the status quo...after all jobs are hard to find and they get to make the golden rules because they have the gold.

So, final answer... if there are no other jobs out there....you can tolerate an obnoxious proportion of SEC fans on a daily basis.... really enjoy being challenged as a junior anesthesiologist and supervising 4+ CRNAs... don't mind the senior members skimming off your back with no hope of you returning the favor to another newbie....and can tolerate tension that you could cut with a knife on a daily basis then go for it....

Its a job where someone could really make a difference and provide great care for a tremendous number of people....and at least you have vacation....and there isnt any OB to worry about..

Sounds like a great gig! Where do I sign!? :smuggrin:

any update from anyone? How about the rest of Louisiana?

I'm sure JET can tell you ALL about Baton Rouge, he's in that region. But he's been banned. So he cannot help you. Because he's been banned.

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure JET can tell you ALL about Baton Rouge, he's in that region. But he's been banned. So he cannot help you. Because he's been banned.

D712

Actually he is not in that group. But if he were allowed to post, he could help you but instead someone thought he had nothing good to offer this forum and decided to place him on a acct-hold status. Thanks genius!

I was in that group at one point, however.

Actually he is not in that group. But if he were allowed to post, he could help you but instead someone thought he had nothing good to offer this forum and decided to place him on a acct-hold status. Thanks genius!

I was in that group at one point, however.

I know he's not that group but I was trying to make a larger point. :) Which I think you helped bang home. :D

.....so when is this ban over? I filtered through google and nada. Especially on the lafayette LA and NOLA. This is getting annoying.

PS i figured this would stir the pot about JET too, just good timing :)

We have absolutely zero explanation as to why Jet was censored in this way. Maybe, once he is back we will hear more of the details. But I'm sure those that censored him in the past will just do it again and show us all how they rule this forum with wreckless abandon and no concern for the greater good.

We have absolutely zero explanation as to why Jet was censored in this way. Maybe, once he is back we will hear more of the details. But I'm sure those that censored him in the past will just do it again and show us all how they rule this forum with wreckless abandon and no concern for the greater good.

:eyebrow: Haven't we been through this a couple times already?

Tonight'll be the end of the two week hold. If he feels like discussing it, he's free to do so.

PGG,

With due respect of course, much the same way you have the right to ban or temporarily hold an account (not to mention a board leader), his friends, both personal and SDN, have the right to display our continued frustration as long as it falls within the rules. So, that's what I suspect is happening. And it's within our rights. This is a big issue to some of us.

Time will tell with Jet...

D712

wait so doctor712 your on hold too...? LOL I guess your never getting an answer to the original question

Whats really amazing about this group is that 10 years ago the younger partners were always spending money freely and excessively on crnas and new doc salaries. As they have aged and have become greedy they have made a 180 degree turn. It used to be a 3 year salary and then partner. That's what they all did BUT now NO WAY !!
You don't ever have a chance to be a partner at the same level as them

Reawakening the dead thread — any up to date info on this BR group? Looking at their website they seems to have a decent number of relatively recent grads (ie, docs who have been with the group for 5-7 years) still sticking around. Maybe things got better??

Reawakening the dead thread — any up to date info on this BR group? Looking at their website they seems to have a decent number of relatively recent grads (ie, docs who have been with the group for 5-7 years) still sticking around. Maybe things got better??

Yes, PM for details.

Reactions: 1 users