Job Market in Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, or South/SouthEast...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ds97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker but this is my first post on this forum.

I am currently in an clinically focused academic position 5 years out of residency and really like my job overall, but one by one my family and friends are moving down south and my wife wants to be closer to her family down there as well. Does anybody know what the market is like in:

1. Raleigh-Durham: I assume it's brutal since it's such a nice place and in any given year they can probably find an excellent candidate from UNC or Duke who would love to stay.

2. Atlanta: I bet it's likewise very tough since it's the biggest city around.

3. Any random medium sized city around either of the two (within 1.5 hours drive?) where you would think that a non-Caucasian, non-christian couple who grew up in the "rust belt" would be happy raising their 3 (currently newborn to 5 years old) children.

I would be very happy to work in a "satellite" center affiliated with an academic center and would also consider a hospital based private practice position (which I presume is the only thing available for option #3).

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.