Job Market - Question for Graduating Residents/Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else graduating from any other programs with first-hand experience regarding job market?

I just started a new job this last Monday. Recent graduate from a four year AP/CP program with a one year fellowship. I was only looking in the upper midwest. The salaries discussed ranged from 170k-200k plus benefits (insurance, books, retirement, etc) Partnerships ranged from 2-6 years with buy ins ranging from essentially nothing to big complex formulas. Time off varied from 3-12 weeks. All of my graduating class of residents had signed a contract by the end of January...salaries and benefits offered at their interviews seemed in line with what I had seen.

Members don't see this ad.

When I go out, I already have an agreement to blow my group up, no legacy, no entrenching. The next crew will start from scratch and learn the business side of this world, for their own good.

LADoc,
Would you recommend new graduating Path Residents to open up their own practice? :idea:And is this feasible with these market conditions? Love to hear yours and anyone else's thoughts...

LADoc,
Would you recommend new graduating Path Residents to open up their own practice? :idea:And is this feasible with these market conditions? Love to hear yours and anyone else's thoughts...

Yes it is very feasible, no question. But you might want to be in an established grp for a bit to see how billing/marketing and other aspects work before going out on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is very feasible, no question. But you might want to be in an established grp for a bit to see how billing/marketing and other aspects work before going out on your own.
Do you feel that after the new reimbursement cuts, new groups could survive?

Let's say you are a graduating pathology resident/fellow and cannot find an attending position. Would you then qualify for unemployment benefits?

Let's say you are a graduating pathology resident/fellow and cannot find an attending position. Would you then qualify for unemployment benefits?

"Unemployment benefits" for the pathology trainee is a blood bank fellowship.

Do you feel that after the new reimbursement cuts, new groups could survive?

Yes absolutely. The cuts will hit urology/GI only practices, but aside from that you should be fine.

I will say if you have good SOCIAL SKILLS you will succeed. Im currently working 5 active gigs, everything from large state contracts, medium medical center directorships, surg path, office path all the way to expert testimony. If you sell yourself well and have the art of the deal in your blood, you will never need to slave for a boss again, trust me.

If you have Asperger's, yay youre screwed.