Job needed prior to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docLuis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a unique situation. I will graduate from medical school July 31, 2011 and not match until March 2012.

I need a job between these times, preferably in the medical field, that makes between 30-40k/year.

Are there any ideas? Tech positions, research, etc... Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a unique situation. I will graduate from medical school July 31, 2011 and not match until March 2012.

I need a job between these times, preferably in the medical field, that makes between 30-40k/year.

Are there any ideas? Tech positions, research, etc... Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Have you considered applying for positions this year? As you probably know, you are not allowed to match if you graduate after July 1st. However, nothing stops you from signing a contract outside the match, to start on Aug 1 (or Aug 15th or whatever). If you're interested in ortho or derm or rads, that's unlikely to happen. But if you're interested in IM/FP/Peds etc, and if you're a USMG, then there is certainly some chance that someone would take you. You should be clear about this in your application -- graduating off cycle, cannot match, looking for position to start mid-Aug. Programs may or may not be interested, but it might beat sitting out a whole year.

To answer the question you asked, you could consider medical transcription. You'll certainly have the lingo down, and can work from home.

Have you considered applying for positions this year? As you probably know, you are not allowed to match if you graduate after July 1st. However, nothing stops you from signing a contract outside the match, to start on Aug 1 (or Aug 15th or whatever). If you're interested in ortho or derm or rads, that's unlikely to happen. But if you're interested in IM/FP/Peds etc, and if you're a USMG, then there is certainly some chance that someone would take you. You should be clear about this in your application -- graduating off cycle, cannot match, looking for position to start mid-Aug. Programs may or may not be interested, but it might beat sitting out a whole year.

To answer the question you asked, you could consider medical transcription. You'll certainly have the lingo down, and can work from home.

aProgDirector,

How can one get into a work from home job in medical transcription....any particular good leads?

Thanks

If you're able to land some medical writing jobs, those will pay significant more than any transcription jobs. Highly successful (and professional) medical writers are able to charge up to $100-150/hr.