Job: Night shift or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

So I have a job interview for a night shift histotech (i am pretty sure i am the only applicant) and a job offer as a assistant teacher. Please help me pick
[Note: There is a pay difference and while more $$ is better, the lower pay is still enough to pay off my car and save a little $ for a trip.]

Histotech
-Interesting
-Could potentially help in medical school
-Sounds good in interviews for medical school (residency?)
-More pay
-Related to the field

Cons
-Night shift:sleep:
I have had insomnia before and am kinda scared of f***ing up my sleep
-40 min commute

Assistant Teacher
Pros
-During the day!
-5 min commute
-Know the teacher and it will be a good work atmosphere with flexibility to take off for interviews
-Part time (I have been so busy the last couple years and would finally be able to do stuff/relax)
- Get paid time off following school calender (winter break, spring, etc)

Cons
-Less pay
-Part time
-Not in the field
-Sounds random in interviews and definitely less impressive

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have any clinical experience, I say the former. If you have plenty, then the latter.

If you don't have any clinical experience, I say the former. If you have plenty, then the latter.
I have more than 400 hrs clinical exp.
The only reason I am considering the histotech job is tht it seems interesting and i would get paid 1k more a month

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you worked graveyard shift before? if not and you don't know what you're getting yourself into then run for your life, run as far as possible. It drains you mentally and physically, messes up your sleep cycle and you will have little to no social life.
Sometimes your sanity is more important than a dollar amount or an experience.

It's good training for intern year, but why torture yourself prematurely?

I think being a histotech would only help if you go into pathology. Is that something you're considering?

night shift takes a little time to get used to.
also depends a bit if you'd be working 12's or 8's
with the commute, working the 8's will cost you in gas more
but at the end of the day you gotta decide if the histo experience will benefit you more moving forward

Hey

So I have a job interview for a night shift histotech (i am pretty sure i am the only applicant) and a job offer as a assistant teacher. Please help me pick
[Note: There is a pay difference and while more $$ is better, the lower pay is still enough to pay off my car and save a little $ for a trip.]

Histotech
-Interesting
-Could potentially help in medical school
-Sounds good in interviews for medical school (residency?)
-More pay
-Related to the field

Cons
-Night shift:sleep:
I have had insomnia before and am kinda scared of f***ing up my sleep
-40 min commute

Assistant Teacher
Pros
-During the day!
-5 min commute
-Know the teacher and it will be a good work atmosphere with flexibility to take off for interviews
-Part time (I have been so busy the last couple years and would finally be able to do stuff/relax)
- Get paid time off following school calender (winter break, spring, etc)

Cons
-Less pay
-Part time
-Not in the field
-Sounds random in interviews and definitely less impressive

Are you working during medical school? Bad idea. If its undergrad, take the day job, get more sleep.

Are you in a gap year or something? Just wondering why night shift is an option.

As someone who has been working night shift for years now, including the hospital, it is ROUGH. Taking classes has been way more difficult working nights, TBH.

Have you worked graveyard shift before? if not and you don't know what you're getting yourself into then run for your life, run as far as possible. It drains you mentally and physically, messes up your sleep cycle and you will have little to no social life.
Sometimes your sanity is more important than a dollar amount or an experience.
Never worked the graveyard shift before :/

It's good training for intern year, but why torture yourself prematurely?
I guess

I think being a histotech would only help if you go into pathology. Is that something you're considering?
Not really.

night shift takes a little time to get used to.
also depends a bit if you'd be working 12's or 8's
with the commute, working the 8's will cost you in gas more
but at the end of the day you gotta decide if the histo experience will benefit you more moving forward
8 hours

Are you working during medical school? Bad idea. If its undergrad, take the day job, get more sleep.
Neither, this is a gap year (I am applying now)

Are you in a gap year or something? Just wondering why night shift is an option.
Yes, its a gap year

As someone who has been working night shift for years now, including the hospital, it is ROUGH. Taking classes has been way more difficult working nights, TBH.
:(

Thanks everyone!!!
I have decided to turn down the night shift job, thanks for your advice :)