job opp. for MPH in india

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I have applied for MPH in US.what kind of posts does an MPH professional
get on returning to India. What might be the pay and what are the possible job oppurtunities?

Members don't see this ad.

First are you sure you are going back? If the answer is yes, then think of the following. If you have done a clinical residency of fellowship in the states (specialty only) then your income in private practice will be pretty high by indian standards (and that is really getting up there these days). Ex. 2 of my dad's classmates did ortho residencies and fellowships (one guy did joint replacement and the other did arthroscopic surgery). They are doing exceptionally well in Mumbai (as are most other orthopods we know). My Uncle came to Mich AnnArbor and did opthalmology and he too is doing really well in New Bombay/Vashi. I dont know how it is in other parts of India.
As far as Public health is concerned, there hasn't been any well paying jobs that I know of (my father is an MD MPH working for the UN who wants to go back to India post retirement after 2007). However, with the recent government change, economic boom and the urgent necessity to develop better infrastructure along with the help of the technology now available, there is going to be a huge market that is going to open up.

hi AMMD, Actually I am planning to come back after doing my MPH.thanks a lot for the optimistic response. do u have any idea about joining UN or that sort of org. (particularly will an MPH be sufficient??), how r docs recruited etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have an MBBS and have done an American MPH, your job prospects with the UN are great. I would visit their website for job postings. The only draw back is, as and Indian citizen working for the UN in India is financial suicide. This is because you are classified as a "local" and paid local wages, however, if you take a posting elsewhere, you are considered an "international" and paid American wages which is a lot higher. My father and most of our family friends have been with the UN for many years now and it has been really great the travel and the moving is lot better than it sounds. We were posted in the Middle east for a long time and now my dad is in Africa. He recently finished his comitment there and is now headed back to the NYC office. Like I said, look up their web site and see what job opportunities there are. From what I hear, its better if you start young so by the time you near retirement, you are very stable financially (which is important for the amount of work you do). Dont forget about the other option though. Look into the booming Indian private sector as well. My first cousin is an MPharm from bombay university and has an MBA from some place hydrabad, he is doing really well with pfizer.

hello Energon,

I am M.B.B.S and also have MPH from a top ranked univ. from U.S. I want to go back to india and i am looking for a job in india. Please let me know for a person with my qualifications i.e. M.B.B.S and MPH what are the possible opps. in india. I can work anywhere in india but preferably in delhi. I am not looking for very high paying jobs but something in the range of 25,000 to 35.000 per month.

Thanks

Hey all,
I'm applying this year for my MPH in the U.S - with a health management and policy concentration.
How relevent do you think that is if I want to working in India after studying?
I'm essentially looking at healthcare consulting here.

yup an MBBS from india n a MPH frm abroad is a gr8 idea.... will definitely work out well..

hi, I have applied for MPH in US.what kind of posts does an MPH professional
get on returning to India. What might be the pay and what are the possible job oppurtunities?

if you are going to US to do MPH and then thinking of coming back to India, it doesn't make any sense.

Nowdays Indian universities are offering MPH courses (previously there used to be only DPH or MD PSM courses), if you are looking for jobs in India, it is preferable to have qualification from India. In past couple of years institutes like AIIMS, New Delhi and TISS, Mumbai have started out with MPH courses. TISS had MHA course for a long time now. TISS has very good record in campus placements, people get employed in UN and other international agencies. You can look at the salary of anything between 80k per month to 200k per month and thats decent amount of money to be had if you wish live in India. just check out the TISS web site. Last date for application is 24th oct.

http://www.tiss.edu/MA_09_11_Web_Brochure.pdf

hello Energon,

something in the range of 25,000 to 35.000 per month.

Thanks

well thats modest target to have, especially considering amount of money you wil have to put in to gain MPH from a US university. nowdays the guy who is just out of school easily pockets 20K if he works in call centre