Job opportunities for fellowship trained vs not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ara96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
As I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to do a fellowship, I was wondering if the $$ and job opportunities are greater for someone who has done a fellowship (say Child or Geriatrics) much greater than they are for someone who has not? I would eventually like to go to the Bay Area/San Francisco where my fiance's family is if that makes any difference.

I know that there is a great demand for Psychiatrists in general.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The job opportunities are solid for psychiatrists, even in markets like the Bay Area. You don't need a fellowship to land a good job there. With that said, child psychiatry seems to be especially in-demand and would increase the available job opportunities. Other fellowships are likely to open up some opportunities you might have otherwise missed out on. Fellowship training often adds a salary bump in academics (for instance, $10k more), but if money is the main concern there are plenty of ways to high pay.

It might help if you were more specific about options you are considering.

No need to do a fellowship for the sake of getting a job. Just do what interests you most, and there will be jobs for you.

You can get a job without one. But, say something like child you may get a few more opportunities if you are child trained. If you specifically want to work with children then I would say do a C&A fellowship. Even then the money would not be much different but more opportunities and potential.