job opportunities for international dentists in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdupont

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering, how is the job market for international dentists/ foreign trained dentists who get his license through bench.
THe reason I 'd ask so was that since they usually don't have the connection and network with other dentists, is it a lot more difficult for them?

what are some channels for them to look for clinics ?

is a foreigned trained dentists less favored ?

any input would be highly appreciated

please limit your response to the situation in califonia

thanks
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it's very difficult to find a job in CA after u clear the Bench. There is still a great demand for dentists in CA, so a long as you are not too keen on practicing only in Big cities you should find a job pretty easily. If you dont know anyone then it would be best to look into the ads for job vacancies, you can also talk to a few dentists they might be able to give you some leads.

thanks for your reply....

do you know any specific agent or sources for dental job searching?

stdupont

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing in particular, sorry.....I'd surf the net & look into the ads in the papers if I were you.

thanks Henna, I am actually quite far from starting job searching,
my questions are more out of curiosity...

thanks

hopefully, there are other inputs on this topic...:love:

hi,
For my curiosity, what would be the real difference in attitude ,confidence level or our whole outlook ,as a dentist ifwe get licensed after the bench tests or get degree after some schooling here. Any thoughts???:(

Hey Merl,

There are so many issues you have to deal with when you are a fresh grad or newly bench- test licensed dentist. Issues like getting use to patient's behaviours, office management, better communication skills, different dental insurance and so on.

My opinion as to achieve a good confidence level when you are a freshly licensed Dentist and also to achieve a positive dentist-patient relationship is to start by doing "Hygiene only". After doing this for your first 8-12 weeks, you would have boosted your confidence level and with this attitude you can now go into Dentistry proper ( restorations, minor endo,crowns , minor surgery ,perio and so on).

Trust me , dentistry in the U.S is a different ball game entirely.

Hi Guru:

what you mentioned is quite interesting. I guess in terms of techniques and methods, we are not so much from one to another, but in terms of " dental environment" " clinical ecology"
US system ca be a major change for international dentists...
Could you elaborate more on this ?

thanks

:laugh:

Hi all:) ,
I found really interesting what you were talking about, specially because as Henna said, I thought dentistry was "universal" and it wouldn't matter were I graduated from... But, recently I had the opportunity to go to a dental office to watch how things were, and honestly, I was surprised to see the differences.
First of all, there are a lot of dutties that dentists are responsible in Argentina (were I'm from) that here are performed by the dental assistant...as provisionals, sealers, impresions....etc... Secondly, dentistry here is seen more as enterprise.... There is little time for patients and it's kind of a "massive" attention of patients..... (that's how I saw it in the clinic I was).
What I would advice to you in order to get in touch with dentistry here is to seek for a Dental Assistan job while you're studiying for the exams...in that case you'll get a different view...perhaps make some contacts for the future, and experience dentistry in the US.