Job Opportunities in Dental Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfromindia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying for job openings as dental assistant and it seems like there are no openings even though you are a foreign trained dentist.
Could any of you guide me as to are there any jobs in dental field which i can do without having to undergo any programs here in MN?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi drfromindia

can you please tell me on which visa status ru in the US.
U shouldnt have any problem in gettin a job as a dental assistant (atleast in some states) if you have a H1/PR/Green card.

Different states have different rules and regulations/requirements to work as a dental assistant.

Few states like Indiana, you can work as an extended dental assistant if you have the workin visa.

try to contact the respected state (MN) authorities and find out the basic requirements.

hope this helps.

I have been trying for job openings as dental assistant and it seems like there are no openings even though you are a foreign trained dentist.
Could any of you guide me as to are there any jobs in dental field which i can do without having to undergo any programs here in MN?

Some states will require a certification for you to be a DA. In my state (Washington state) there is no requirements and PLENTY of job openings for dental assistants. If you are able to move to another state and your state requires certification, come to Seattle! I always received invitations for interviews and plenty of job offers when I was looking for jobs as DA.

Just be humble and don't try to tell the dentist what he needs to do with the patients :).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on L2 visa.Checked with MN dentistry board.Their criteria they told was to complete a dental assisting program from an accredited university.

Hi drfromindia

can you please tell me on which visa status ru in the US.
U shouldnt have any problem in gettin a job as a dental assistant (atleast in some states) if you have a H1/PR/Green card.

Different states have different rules and regulations/requirements to work as a dental assistant.

Few states like Indiana, you can work as an extended dental assistant if you have the workin visa.

try to contact the respected state (MN) authorities and find out the basic requirements.

hope this helps.

Do you have authorization from the INS to work? If so, and if possible, move to where you can work without the certification from a dental assisting school. I live in Seattle and I am pretty sure I only got accepted at UOP because I have been working here as a DA for years! My NBDE scores weren't that great, but I got to prove great US dental experience because of my job and all the CE courses I was able to take while working as a DA. You don't have to be certified here and the salaries are pretty decent (average 20.00/hour, if you are fully expanded - temporary crowns, placing rubber dam, etc).

Good luck! :)

hi, i am in seattle.. i am on H 1 visa..can u please tell me how can i find a DA job?

hi, i am in seattle.. i am on H 1 visa..can u please tell me how can i find a DA job?

Check for job listings at the Seattle Times (www.seattletimes.com) or craigslist (www.craigslist.com). You will find plenty of jobs.
Create a great resume and wait for the phone calls!

Best of luck!!! :)

hey does anyone know what u need to do to be a dental assistant in florida? i've looked up the requirements but all i can get out of it is that u can learn on the job, and i'm not sure if that's true.. thanks!

Check for job listings at the Seattle Times (www.seattletimes.com) or craigslist (www.craigslist.com). You will find plenty of jobs.
Create a great resume and wait for the phone calls!

Best of luck!!! :)
hi i live in seattle on h4 visa do i have a chance?

Do you have authorization from the INS to work? If so, and if possible, move to where you can work without the certification from a dental assisting school. I live in Seattle and I am pretty sure I only got accepted at UOP because I have been working here as a DA for years! My NBDE scores weren't that great, but I got to prove great US dental experience because of my job and all the CE courses I was able to take while working as a DA. You don't have to be certified here and the salaries are pretty decent (average 20.00/hour, if you are fully expanded - temporary crowns, placing rubber dam, etc).

what is ins?how can i get authorization from INS?please help me...

what is ins?how can i get authorization from INS?please help me...
INS= Immigration and Naturalization Services= USCIS.

You can get employment authorization if you get thru a certain stage in green card process/ after you get a degree(bachelors,/ masters, PhD) from the US/ have H1B/ L visa series.

Hi Vejaeju,
I live in CA and have work permit from INS. iam trying to get into DA job. You said you took some CE courses.can u tell me indetail about that.
If i work hard for part 2 and get aDA job, is thare any chances to get into CA schools.
thank u

Last edited:
Hey La Fea, thanks for updating the new INS' name.

rdsd, I took a bunch of CE courses in Brazil, before I came to the US, and a few more after I started working as a DA here. I am still working as an Oral Surgery assistant (until May), and one of the courses I had to take was the certification for General Anesthesia assisting. I also took a few courses on Nitrous Oxide (paid by myself) with the University of San Antonio, and a Perio one paid by one of my employers, plus a few more during dental conferences (implant temporizing, practice growth, etc.). I think some important stuff in my resume were the certification for anesthesia and the fact that I was already working as an assistant for a few years. You can go to lots of dental schools websites and they will let you take online CE courses (like the Nitrous one). All you have to do is to pay for them. Check some schools and the courses you want to take.
I also have a master degree in Pedo (from Brazil) and used to be a teacher there (Anatomy). I know these things also helped me with getting an interview spot.

I applied to Pacific only. I know they are not that interested in scores (of course they help), as they are in your experience and love for the profession. If you get an interview, make sure you know how to prep the teeth!

Good luck!

Look into "teaching" dental assisting, I spent two years as an instructor in a dental assisting program at a career college in Virginia before going to school. Search for local schools and colleges in your area that have dental assisting programs and see what openings they have and what requirements they ask for.