Job opportunities outside of academia and private practice?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by biogirl215, Jan 5, 2009.

1. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Okay, given that I haven't even applied to grad school, much less gotten in :xf:, it may be a bit early to broach this topic, but still, I'm curious--outside of academia and private practice, what do non-neuropsychologists tend to after receiving their doctorate? I imagine VA work, hospital work (health psych heavy?), and university counseling centers would all be options, and most CMHC ads I've seen tend to target LCSWs/LPCs, likely due to cost and relatively low salary. Are there any other "big" areas I'm missing (likely, as every psychologist I've known has done academic work, some with a private practice on the side)? How hard is to find a salaried, non-academic job as a psychologist?

2. Cigolon

5+ Year Member

Plenty of PhD's end up in research careers (clinical and not), either through post-doctoral fellowships or otherwise. One of the prof's (adjunct) I'm working with right now spends almost his entire time doing private grant work and has always made his living that way. Another one of my prof's (experimental mind you) worked for GE for years doing research and patents based off of visual processing of information (ie, LCD display things).

3. psybee

psybee Psychology Grad Student!
    5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    you can work in science publishing, MH non-profits, government, program development, consulting--your doctorate gives you expertise and training like any advanced degree, so sets yo up for all sorts of psych-related leadership positions.

4. sagepsych

sagepsych New Member
    7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Psychologists held about 166,000 jobs in 2006. Educational institutions employed about 29 percent of psychologists in positions other than teaching, such as counseling, testing, research, and administration. About 21 percent were employed in health care, primarily in offices of mental health practitioners, hospitals, physiciansÂ’ offices, and outpatient mental health and substance abuse centers. Government agencies at the State and local levels employed psychologists in correctional facilities, law enforcement, and other settings.

After several years of experience, some psychologists—usually those with doctoral degrees—enter private practice or set up private research or consulting firms. About 34 percent of psychologists were self-employed in 2006, compared with only 8 percent of all professional workers.

In addition to the previously mentioned jobs, many psychologists held faculty positions at colleges and universities and as high school psychology teachers.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm