Job Options after FM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
after finishing FM Residency next year, I would like to obtain a locum tenens position, so I will not be tied down to one area and will have the ability to travel. I may also do a fellowship the following year.
I have been receiving non stop phone calls/emails/mail from recruiters. Any experience with this? Should I go through a recruiter? How do I find my own locum tenens positions? Every website I visit seems to be through a recruiter.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
after finishing FM Residency next year, I would like to obtain a locum tenens position, so I will not be tied down to one area and will have the ability to travel. I may also do a fellowship the following year.
I have been receiving non stop phone calls/emails/mail from recruiters. Any experience with this? Should I go through a recruiter? How do I find my own locum tenens positions? Every website I visit seems to be through a recruiter.
Thanks!

I HATE recruiters, so shady, and they only want their cut out of your signature. That is truly terrible. It is a tough situation, try and visit the site that you like and talk directly to the administrators there. I have been told several lies by physician recruiters.

Let's say you get a job somewhere in...Montana for example. Is it possible that you as a FP could perform colonoscopy, endoscopy procedures in a rather under served community? If you join a group practice that doesn't have anyone with this skill....could this be possible? If so, does it have potential to make decent money?

Let's say you get a job somewhere in...Montana for example. Is it possible that you as a FP could perform colonoscopy, endoscopy procedures in a rather under served community? If you join a group practice that doesn't have anyone with this skill....could this be possible? If so, does it have potential to make decent money?

You could do whatever you want, if you can get the setup. The equipment and its maintenance and training of the staff will require money that either you have to come up with or you'd have to convince someone to do it. You need to train your staff to help you out and keep up with the procedure. Your staff probably should also be trained in ACLS and conscious sedation.

Or, you could use the equipment or set up from the hospital, which would save you some money, but you'd have to get privileges. And that's what all the debate is all about... who should/shouldn't have privileges.

Lastly, is keeping updated on your skills which will require a critical mass of patients and access to CME, conferences, colleagues, etc. These are many times really hard for rural private practice docs. You can get the critical mass of patients from the hospital (ER call, consults) but you'd have to get privileges and compete with other specialties. Or, you can build it through your own practice and have your partners refer to you. You'd have to see if insurance will allow this.