Other OT-Related Information Job Options during OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpg98

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Wondering what are jobs current or past OT students have/had during graduate school? Or is it not very doable to have a job while in OT school? Just curious of others opinions and experiences.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Wondering what are jobs current or past OT students have/had during graduate school? Or is it not very doable to have a job while in OT school? Just curious of others opinions and experiences.

Thanks!!

I definitely would not take on a job while you’re in your first semester! I’m currently in mine now and cannot fathom having a job. I’m constantly studying and pacing myself for the next test/exam/assignment. Most people in my program, as well as cohort above us, do not have jobs. Maybe 4-5 people from each cohort of 30 do! I would atleast wait until your second semester to consider it after you have gotten used to what your program is going to be like!

Reactions: 1 user
My friend is in her first year and she said she decided to not work because it would be a lot. She said all she does is go to class, study, and sleep! However, she is a dancer and will teach dance classes/workshops when she can to make a little bit of money. So maybe little jobs like that can work because it won't be such a commitment, at least for the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the interview process, I met a student who obtained a graduate assistant job (A&P lab or something?) which pays for some of the tuition. She stated instead of 50k, she might get away with 15k debt when the program is complete. That is also including some scholarships she found which were apparently very easy to apply for. Moral: work smart, not hard.

About 30-40% of my cohort are employed (we have 64 students total)! My program allows students to have jobs outside of school so long as school is our first priority. However, I should stress that there is a notable difference in academic performance in students who work vs. those who do not, so I do agree with the responder above to avoid having a job during term 1 if possible. If you do seek employment ideas, some of us are servers, receptionists, tutors, ABAs/ RBTs, or retail. I am about to finish my first term in my OT program and as much as I do enjoy my weekend job, I also wish that I had more time to study. :bookworm:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A few students in my cohort have work study jobs on campus, but no more than 10 hours per week. I babysit/nanny for about 12 hours per week and that is perfect because I can study while babysitting in most cases (there are quite a few people in my cohort who do this). This is also great because you can choose your hours and decide to work less during more stressful weeks.