Job options for path residents on a J1 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainEddie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone... does anybody know about the (apparently few) job options in the US that path residents on J-1 visas have? I've heard that one option would be to practice in a VA hospital setting but I was also told it can be very difficult to get it, as much as getting a job in an "underserved area" (because path is not primary care). Some people recommended me to come back to my beloved homeland for a couple of years and then to come back to the US but in that case, I feel like I'm going to lose part of my training as we dont have all the technology we have here in the US. We have H&E, histochemical stains and in veeery few institutions the luxury of IHCs , molecular and flow...
Anybody has any suggestions or can share experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing for you is to find an employee that can ( and is willing to) sponsor your visum. I know people who stayed under the Conrad State 30 Program or on a O1-Visum .

FYI, while VA jobs may not pay nearly as much as private practice, word to me has been that these are still popular jobs that just aren't a "last resort" for FMGs/IMGs.

hello everyone... does anybody know about the (apparently few) job options in the US that path residents on J-1 visas have? I've heard that one option would be to practice in a VA hospital setting but I was also told it can be very difficult to get it, as much as getting a job in an "underserved area" (because path is not primary care). Some people recommended me to come back to my beloved homeland for a couple of years and then to come back to the US but in that case, I feel like I'm going to lose part of my training as we dont have all the technology we have here in the US. We have H&E, histochemical stains and in veeery few institutions the luxury of IHCs , molecular and flow...
Anybody has any suggestions or can share experiences?

Depending on your personal (family) situation and your home country, spending a couple of years there might not be a bad idea. I think it is easier to return to the US (and you may even have multiple options in several geographic regions) if you are looking for an academic job. Particularly if you are primary plus subspecialty board certified (are able to sign-out cases), have a few publications in your area of interest (are productive academically), and support from the person whom you trained under (have no personality issues). I wouldn't worry about forgetting what you learnt. This is a great option if you do not want to deal with all the headaches and uncertainty of going through the waiver process.