Job Prospects as a new Dentist ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preetesh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a Dental Student and will be graduating in May '15. I was wondering how are the job prospects for a fresh graduate dentist in San Diego (I also will be needing H1B work visa sponsorship ) .. Which Cities currently are the best to practise ( in terms of salary ) in CA and overall US ?

Members don't see this ad.

lol not again :)
Anywhere in central Cali farmland would be best: (~90-100K) Western readily sponsors H1Bs
Major cities in central Cali would be a bit less than that and more competition with seasoned dentists.
SF, SD, or god forbid LA: game over.

I live in North county SD area (suburb) and there's 23 dental offices on one street alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I am a Dental Student and will be graduating in May '15. I was wondering how are the job prospects for a fresh graduate dentist in San Diego (I also will be needing H1B work visa sponsorship ) .. Which Cities currently are the best to practise ( in terms of salary ) in CA and overall US ?

San Diego is ridiculously competitive. Salaries are very low. $300-$400 per day. I recommend you be open to relocation and work for one of the chains that sponsor employees.

lol not again :)
Anywhere in central Cali farmland would be best: (~90-100K) Western readily sponsors H1Bs
Major cities in central Cali would be a bit less than that and more competition with seasoned dentists.
SF, SD, or god forbid LA: game over.

My friend's sister worked for a dentist in OC for 3 years and recently bought his practice. Game over? Hardly.

My friend's sister worked for a dentist in OC for 3 years and recently bought his practice. Game over? Hardly.
Sure, with extensive networking or dentists in your family you will have a job. But for many, even getting a full time position at a mill in socal is impossible, hence the lowered salary expectations and working at 2-4 offices.

Sure, with extensive networking or dentists in your family you will have a job. But for many, even getting a full time position at a mill in socal is impossible, hence the lowered salary expectations and working at 2-4 offices.
What you said is true of course but I am just saying it's not impossible. Dentists want to live in Cali and be close to the beach, Hollywood, good food, culture, good schools, etc. Well, you have to make a sacrifice. My brother practices in SoCal and makes less than his friends in other states. But he wanted to raise a family where the school district is among the top in the nation.

I live in North county SD area (suburb) and there's 23 dental offices on one street alone.
What street is this? Valley Parkway or San Marcos Boulevard? North County have the best weather not just in Cali but the world.