MHA Job prospects for international students with MA in public health.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noohkoes1108

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm an international student at one of private universities in NY and am very interested in pursuing masters degree in Public Health

Among the concentrations, I am particularly into MHA degrees, however few days of researches have taught me that as an international students, MHA degree won't help me find a job in U.S. markets due to visa sponsorship. How do you guys see job prospects for international students with MHA degree in U.S. market? If answers should depend on where MHA comes from, let's assume it from one of top schools: JHU, UNC, UMich, Harvard, Cornell and so on.

Do you think concentrations in either biostatistics or epidemiology would give me better chance getting visa sponsorship from firms? How good would the chance be?

I heard that concentrating on Quantitative Analysis would make me much more marketable in markets after the graduation due to complex laws related to H1B visas.

I need help! Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard the it is very hard to get visa sponsorship with an MHA degree for international students. Not that it is impossible because there are people who did it, but it is just gonna be more difficult than usual. For example, UAB actually requires intl students to secure a placement before they start their MSHA program (which i believe is basically the same as MHA program).

Having some quantitative skills can definitely make you more marketable as a job application. That stands true for both American or international students. But also keep in mind that the field of public health also values a lot on experience and connections.

This is my 2 cents as an international student also...

I am not an international student, but from what I've read it is very difficult for international students to find work here with an MHA. Not only are there complex laws associated with H1b visas, but it is expensive for a company to sponsor. I don't know if it would be easier for you to find sponsorship in the U.S. if you concentrated in biostats or epidemiology. However, if you were not able to find sponsorship, a concentration in either of those would be much more transferable to your home country (not sure where this is) than a MHA if you were to choose to move back or even if you were to choose to move to a different country.

Good luck with this process and I wish you the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to mimiQ and IntriguedStudent!

I know it will be tough for international students but I will give it a shot!

Good luck with all of you too! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do Canadians have any advantage through NAFTA regarding job prospects or it's the same for all international applicants?

I have a similar dilemma, accepted at a great program for Masters in Public Administration/Public Policy and worried about job prospects as I am unable to get federal jobs anyway but what about state/local/non-profit/private sectors?