Job prospects for Nephro crit vs Pulm crit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It’s good to be back on sdn. Posting after a long time.

I am currently in my final year of IM and I have been debating my future path. I am sure about critical care but not sure about the associated speciality. I know pulm/crit is the safest approach but I find nephrology more captivating. However, my PD and the pulm/crit attendings warned me that the job market is difficult for Nephro/crit.

Is there any Nephro/crit attending or fellow here who can shed some light on this and the job prospectus? Is it hard to find good paying jobs?

As for pure CCM, it can be taxing and the job market is likewise competitive, and hence I am keeping that as the last resort.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do straight critical care, you can do it as a 2 year fellowship right out of IM. Other than the obvious extra knowledge that you would get out of ANY fellowship, you don't per se need Pulm or Nephro (I only consult a pulmonologist once in a blue moon for something crazy like IPF or a lung mass). If you want to actually practice pulm or renal once you finish, then by all means do the extra year. Pulm is a natural fit with crit care because many pulm groups do the hybrid practice, but only do the fellowship if you want to do pulm in addition to criticism care.
BTW the CCM job market now is easy pickings!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, do what you want. If you want renal/CCM, do it. I bet you can find a job to do both. And if not, and you do ICU only inevitably your skills will come in. Lots of renal patients in the unit. And when you have RRT patients you don't have to consult.

Almost all of the nephrons I know who did CCM don’t do any nephrology. Almost all practice straight CCM. Job market is excellent for CCM. With more and more places wanting to start an intensivist model. Lots of opportunities to start and run your own community ICU program. You will see lots of Pulm/ccm guys doing straight CCM also.

Reactions: 1 users