Job Prospects in Chicago Suburbs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MT19871985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to start working in the Chicago area, particularly the suburbs, preferably NW or N of the city (20-40 miles outside the city). Anyone have any idea what recent grads are getting offered, and is it possible to make 250K or even above? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Few job websites actually list any real details.

Once you call specific places and develop relationships with the recruiters where you want to go, you will need an idea of what the going rate is by scouring the innerwebz for ideas and what MGMA says.
Your negotiation-fu will need to be at its best.

Once you call specific places and develop relationships with the recruiters where you want to go, you will need an idea of what the going rate is by scouring the innerwebz for ideas and what MGMA says.
Your negotiation-fu will need to be at its best.
I guess that's why I posted this thread. To get that kind of info.

NorthShore and Advocate always seem to be looking for people. I've heard good things about the former, not so great things about the latter. You'll make good money but you'll have to work for it. Systems like Edward are out there if you want to venture out to Naperville and are known to pay well. Both suburban VAs are hiring too from what I know. In general, the rule for pay in the Chicago area is that the farther you are from the Loop, the more you make. The thought of living 20-40 miles outside the city sounds kind of hellish to me. If I was going to be in the sprawl I'd rather do it in a state like Minnesota or Colorado, but my rep as a pretentious city-goer is a well established here.

Before taking any position that depends on state government payments, u better make sure Illinois passes a budget

The suburban health networks don't tend to be the most medicaid-friendly places to begin with, so if you've got an outpatient gig, I don't see it being all that significant to your day to day life (child being the exception here).

NorthShore and Advocate always seem to be looking for people. I've heard good things about the former, not so great things about the latter. You'll make good money but you'll have to work for it. Systems like Edward are out there if you want to venture out to Naperville and are known to pay well. Both suburban VAs are hiring too from what I know. In general, the rule for pay in the Chicago area is that the farther you are from the Loop, the more you make. The thought of living 20-40 miles outside the city sounds kind of hellish to me. If I was going to be in the sprawl I'd rather do it in a state like Minnesota or Colorado, but my rep as a pretentious city-goer is a well established here.
I've done both, but family is pushing for more suburban areas. I can't blame them. Cheaper housing and higher salaries. So, 20-40 miles is fine with me. I can still visit the city.

EDIT: And I'm surprised to hear that Edward (Linden Oaks) pays well, honestly.