Job Satisfaction Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physicians: the following describes my level of satisfaction with EM as a career

• I am satisfied with my career choice.

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • I am not satisfied with my career choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EM is okay, it pays the bills, but I would get out if I could.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't even become a doctor.

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am happy with my choice. EM is in my opinion the best field in medicine and I feel my job situation is special. 40 doctor private truly democratic group.

The stressors come from insane student loans (300k+), contracting issues with the hospital and no RVU based pay which means the fastest and slowest docs make the exact same and there is no incentive for the slow guys to work faster. Also, the overall uncertainty in medicine is stressful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to be pope, but it turns out you have to be catholic. So, this was a good fallback.

I wanted to be pope, but it turns out you have to be catholic. So, this was a good fallback.
Nice. I was looking for an hourly job with a lot of flexibility near the ocean. Unfortunately The Gap wasn't hiring and the manager the the local 7-11 is an *****hole.

The thing that (I think) is going to be the big difference-maker for me is how well I can handle/ignore the PG/customer service nonsense and the abusive "customer" base once I get out versus how much I enjoy my time away from work. I'd like to think that I can take punishment for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week, if I take home enough coin and can be truly happy with my home life.

Once you start "living at your job", then its lookout-city.