Job Search Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoisthedrizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of a job search with my BME degree. I'm going to be interviewing with a company for an engineering job that I'm really excited about. Problem is, I'm also waiting to find out if I'll get into med school (I'm on 3 waitlists, and I have 3 more interviews scheduled) this year. When the company contacts my references, who all know of my med school plans, they probably won't hire me.

Should I tell the references directly not to mention my med school plans? Will they do this for me? I certainly won't be telling the company myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it totally depends on how well you know your references, and how they would take a gentle hint not to mention your medical school plans. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them about it, I'd take that as a sign to do nothing and hope for the best.

I'm having the same prob, but with ugrad-- they want an interview on Thursday and I have no idea what to say about school plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the job, and then get into med school, are you actually going to take the job and then quit in like 6 months? Or is it more like a job that you will start after you find out about the med school decisions?

If you get the job, and then get into med school, are you actually going to take the job and then quit in like 6 months? Or is it more like a job that you will start after you find out about the med school decisions?

If I get in I will quit in six months.

If they had to, they would lay you off in a heartbeat.

Give them an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. You don't owe them anything else.

You seem like a truly dedicate committed and honest employee. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't fall head-over-heels.

kidding. above is right. :smuggrin:

If they had to, they would lay you off in a heartbeat.

Give them an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. You don't owe them anything else.

Yeah I learned that the hard way. Had an offer for $60K coming out of ugrad. I went to the full day interview, guy tells me he has had BMEs that were applying to med school too. He's like, be perfectly honest, do you plan on that in the future? Not thinking, I told the truth.

Went through the whole day long interview. End of the day, he pulls me aside, told me I did great and wanted to hire me, but couldn't cuz of the med school thing.

Yeah I learned that the hard way. Had an offer for $60K coming out of ugrad. I went to the full day interview, guy tells me he has had BMEs that were applying to med school too. He's like, be perfectly honest, do you plan on that in the future? Not thinking, I told the truth.

Went through the whole day long interview. End of the day, he pulls me aside, told me I did great and wanted to hire me, but couldn't cuz of the med school thing.

It's tough to turn down that entry level engineering pay. I had offers for a clinical engineering position and a medical software programmer position, both with great pay and benefits. I turned them down to go to graduate school for a stipend 1/3 of the salary...now I'm applying to medical school. I will never be able to afford to eat anything aside from spaghetti O's :(