job security for podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
with an MD, you are pretty much guaranteed a 100k job.
what about podiatry?
is the job security good?
I am just starting to research the field and it seems that everyone who applies get in. This can't be a good sign??
I realize that this is the podiatry forum so the opinions i am going to get are probably going to be biased...so please try to be as objective as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need other peoples opinions on this matter. Just call podiatry offices and see when they can have you seen by a DPM. I just got a stress fracture about a month ago and no DPM office was willing to see me for at least 3 weeks because they were overbooked. All 11 offices. On the other hand, I was having a bit of discomfort with my bite and every dental office I called was willing to see me in under a week. I also had a contact lens fitting appointment about 6 months ago and I got the appointment for the next day. Go figure.

You don't need other peoples opinions on this matter. Just call podiatry offices and see when they can have you seen by a DPM. I just got a stress fracture about a month ago and no DPM office was willing to see me for at least 3 weeks because they were overbooked. All 11 offices. On the other hand, I was having a bit of discomfort with my bite and every dental office I called was willing to see me in under a week. I also had a contact lens fitting appointment about 6 months ago and I got the appointment for the next day. Go figure.

I called an auto mechanic yesterday and my car got fixed within three hours!

So... don't be an automechanic.

Members don't see this ad :)

What you experienced can be explained by several factors, including your belief that you couldn't get an appointment because they were busy. It could be that the doctor's front desk person is lazy and didn't want to squeeze in an emergency since it may mean more work for him/her. The doctor may not be flexible since he/she wants to work a set schedule and not accommodate new emergency patients. It could be the office doesn't have that many hours available. And so on and so on.....

Our office is without a doubt the busiest office in the region. We saw well over 100 patients in ONE of our offices today, and that's not our busiest day (2 doctors). However, despite the fact we were very busy, any new patient who calls as an emergency WILL be seen that day. If a primary doctor calls us and asks us to see a patient as an emergency, the patient WILL be seen that day. Even if it is inconvenient to the staff or doctors.

Maybe that's why we are busy. We accommodate our patients.

So, the idea that an office will squeeze you in without a long wait is not necessarily indicative of an office that's not busy. It's simply an office that has good practice management and understands what patients want and need.

hi guys
with an MD, you are pretty much guaranteed a 100k job.
what about podiatry?
is the job security good?
I am just starting to research the field and it seems that everyone who applies get in. This can't be a good sign??
I realize that this is the podiatry forum so the opinions i am going to get are probably going to be biased...so please try to be as objective as possible.

Function under this assumption.

There are NO guarantees in life, job security is what YOU make it, and NOT every MD is guaranteed a 100K/year job.

Shadow some pods, they seem to really open up after having an interested party hang out with them for a few hours. The pods I shadowed were all very eager to talk finances and salary with me.

At least in the are I'm in, a pod who wants the work will get the work and that means getting those coveted 6 figure salaries.

Interesting thing that both pods told me, they make more money by doing clinical work all day than they would if they did surgery all day, thats just how they explained it to me. Both are certified in forefoot and one was certified in rearfoot and ankle and they do do surgery but as one put it, mainly to break up some of the monotony. I found that fascinating as my Grandpa who was a pod in the height of ambulatory surgery reimbursement swears that cutting is the only way to make money as a pod.

I called an auto mechanic yesterday and my car got fixed within three hours!

So... don't be an automechanic.

You can fix your own car with youtube videos. Not sure if I can say the same about diagnosing a stress fracture and putting together a follow-up plan. But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

Both are certified in forefoot and one was certified in rearfoot and ankle and they do do surgery but as one put it, mainly to break up some of the monotony. I found that fascinating as my Grandpa who was a pod in the height of ambulatory surgery reimbursement swears that cutting is the only way to make money as a pod.

Just to keep this accurate, there is no such thing as being board certified by the ABPS in
forefoot surgery. There IS certification in FOOT surgery and the foot includes the forefoot, midfoot and rearfoot. This is a fact and I can assure you it's accurate. I spent over 10 years as an examiner for the ABPS certification exam.

There is a misconception that there is a "forefoot" certification, which also leads to the misconception that those doctors only perform forefoot surgery. That is not accurate, and almost every DPM who I know who is certified in FOOT surgery, also performs rearfoot cases.

I mean... I've tried some surgeries that I've seen on PodiatryLive on some of my friends... Turns out fixing bunions is pretty easy to do in a dorm room with your anatomy dissection kit and a bottle of everclear.

thank you padpm, i'm still learning.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile