Coursework & Fieldwork job shadowing problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalafan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been trying for two years to get some sort of shadowing in my area in the pediatric setting, but everytime I call, they are too busy or never have any available. I am getting really frustrated and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on where to look for shadowing in the Nashville area.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have been trying for two years to get some sort of shadowing in my area in the pediatric setting, but everytime I call, they are too busy or never have any available. I am getting really frustrated and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on where to look for shadowing in the Nashville area.

I don't live in Nashville, but another comparable-sized city. Have you looked at towns outside of Nashville? Maybe Franklin, Murfreesboro, etc. (I used to live in TN :])? I have had more luck when I call places in the 'burbs. They seem more readily available to host students for shadowing. And also, sometimes it's better to email than call. People lose numbers, play phone tag, are busy, whatever. With email, it's a little more convenient. So maybe try shooting out a couple of emails if you find some contact info. And perhaps if you've shadowed in other areas, you could ask them if they know anyone who works in peds.

Sorry if none of this is helpful. Good luck!

I don't live in Nashville, but another comparable-sized city. Have you looked at towns outside of Nashville? Maybe Franklin, Murfreesboro, etc. (I used to live in TN :])? I have had more luck when I call places in the 'burbs. They seem more readily available to host students for shadowing. And also, sometimes it's better to email than call. People lose numbers, play phone tag, are busy, whatever. With email, it's a little more convenient. So maybe try shooting out a couple of emails if you find some contact info. And perhaps if you've shadowed in other areas, you could ask them if they know anyone who works in peds.

Sorry if none of this is helpful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had good experience in schools, especially if they're used to students from teacher colleges nearby.

I had good experience in schools, especially if they're used to students from teacher colleges nearby.

Me too. I also shadowed at a hippotherapy camp and in a hospital that had a division devoted to children with developmental problems. The private clinics I tried generally did not allow shadowing or did not respond to my inquiry.

It's really best to walk-in and inquire about shadowing and volunteering opportunities. When I looked for places I would email and call, then after hearing back set-up a meeting the OT people. If I did not hear back in a week and it was a place I really wanted to volunteer/shadow I walked in to inquire about it and talked to them. That way they can put a face to a name. It's good to bring a resume and CPR card copies. If the person you talked to can't immediately help out, you can make an appointment for a later time or get information for the volunteer department (schools and hospitals may require some immunizations and training before you can volunteer and take a little bit of time to get cleared, private clinics were usually a quicker process).

i would also try to use your own network. are you friends with or do you know any teachers, doctors, or nurses? they probably work with OTs day to day and can personally connect you with someone they know = increasing your chances.

i would also try to actually volunteer for these places rather than "shadow". i know many hospitals are always looking for volunteers and usually have some type of volunteer program set up which you can go through and then request to volunteer in the occupational therapy department and specifically in pediatrics. i went this route, but for hand therapy, and was able to get 60+ hours.

good luck!