Jobs after Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deedo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. The practicing physician boards don't seem very active. I would like some advice on finding jobs after fellowship, ideally from someone who has recently been through the process.

I am currently in the 1st year of a 2 year ID fellowship. Our program recently hired many new attendings so it is unlikely they will need to hire any more in the near future. In the past, most of the fellows from our program have gone on to private practice. Ideally I'd like to do private practice in either a community hospital or a community hospital with a university affiliation. At this point I have no desire to stay in academic medicine.

I know that there are job postings in the NEJM, and ID Society of America, etc. And I realize that networking and word of mouth is effective as well. However, some of my friends who went into general medicine utilized recruiters and other job-matching services. Are there similar organizations dedicated to sub-specialties? If so, has anyone used one and are there any you would recommend?

Just trying to get a feel for the process, would appreciate any advice and help.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. The practicing physician boards don't seem very active. I would like some advice on finding jobs after fellowship, ideally from someone who has recently been through the process.

I am currently in the 1st year of a 2 year ID fellowship. Our program recently hired many new attendings so it is unlikely they will need to hire any more in the near future. In the past, most of the fellows from our program have gone on to private practice. Ideally I'd like to do private practice in either a community hospital or a community hospital with a university affiliation. At this point I have no desire to stay in academic medicine.

I know that there are job postings in the NEJM, and ID Society of America, etc. And I realize that networking and word of mouth is effective as well. However, some of my friends who went into general medicine utilized recruiters and other job-matching services. Are there similar organizations dedicated to sub-specialties? If so, has anyone used one and are there any you would recommend?

Just trying to get a feel for the process, would appreciate any advice and help.

thanks!
I am also a first year ID fellow and I recently opened an account on practicelink. I have received many emails already from recruiters willing to do the scut work for me. You should try it. You also will get a listing of current job openings each time they become available. Try this website www.practicelink.com

Thanks, that is very helpful! I appreciate it :)