Jobs and Medical School Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyMissMD93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have full time jobs and are interviewing for medical school, did you tell your employer you were applying for medical school before they gave you the job? Or do you just take PTO when you have to leave for an interview? I'm currently looking for another job and it's hard for me to find something that is flexible enough to where if I needed to interview last minute (like 2-4 weeks in advance), it wouldn't be an issue. I think the only job that would be flexible with me is scribing, but a lot/most of the scribe jobs in my area are full.

Members don't see this ad.

I told my employer during the interview that I would be applying to medical school during my employment. I made sure to let him know that I would try to minimize the impact interviews have on my work.
I work in research though, so that allows more flexibility than other jobs I feel.

Reactions: 1 user
I work as a scribe and have difficulty with quick turnarounds since my schedule is released a month at a time. But I did tell them during the interview that I planned on interviewing during the fall and they have worked with me as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a PCT so full time is three 12 hour shifts and I primarily work the latter part of the week. My interviews so far are being scheduled Mon-Wed.

My job is pretty flexible in general though so if I needed an extra day I dont think I'd have much pushback.

I am in a similar situation, although I've been employed for close to 1.5 years. I've told my hospital supervisor that I would be interviewing for medical schools, but I have left it open-ended. Unfortunately, we are really short-staffed, so short-notice interviews may be challenging. I would be taking PTO for my interviews if possible. Do you need the income right now? It can be very challenging to begin a job and leave for a significant amount of time early on.

It's tough, because you want to be professional and have an income. But at the end of the day, this is what we want to do for the rest of our lives. If there was a conflict between work and medical school, school would ultimately win out. Try to be professional regarding your requests, never a good idea to burn bridges, but keep your goals in view.

Reactions: 1 users
I work as a PCT so full time is three 12 hour shifts and I primarily work the latter part of the week. My interviews so far are being scheduled Mon-Wed.

My job is pretty flexible in general though so if I needed an extra day I dont think I'd have much pushback.

What is a PCT?

Nice. I'm looking into going back to caregiving or something where I can pick up shifts that work best for me. It's just so tricky when you get interviews and have to travel to places to do them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that. PRN health-care jobs are typically plentiful and would give you that sort flexibility. I love my job 90% of the time so it works out really well at this point in time.

Reactions: 1 user