jobs and money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the Fosso was one of my faves too, OT!

My sister and I sampled a Nebbiolo that we loved when she visited here. So this summer when we visited our parents, we had a great time tracking down the vineyard! Their Barbaresco and Dolcetto D'Alba were fantastic.

Beautiful pics!

White for me. Never found a red I was fond of.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand wine, honestly. Can't really taste the difference between $10 and $100 bottles. I suppose this indicates a lack of refinement on my part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once I get over 10-12$ a bottle I can't tell the difference between them and more expensive bottles. But I've really only maxed out at like 50$. Maybe I need like a 200$ bottle to realize the difference

I don't understand wine, honestly. Can't really taste the difference between $10 and $100 bottles. I suppose this indicates a lack of refinement on my part.

Its definitely a process, at least for coffee. Years ago, I couldn't tell cheap coffee from good coffee. Now I can tell you what region a coffee is from 80% of the time and can pick out Sumatra 90% of the time. Maybe 50% of the time with good coffee I can pick out one flavor within the coffee (chocolate, fruits, etc). My buddies that run a microroastery can pick out multiple flavors in every coffee and notice the change in flavors depending on degree of roasting and method of extraction. I doubt I'll ever get there unless I retire into owning a coffee shop. I will say I can definitely tell when a coffee has a cupping score of 90+ as the complexity of the flavor is usually very different than regular coffee.

Yeah, I'm not really able to find the hidden flavors in wine (or coffee, for that matter). You read the tasting notes and it's filled with gobbledygook about hints of toasted pecans, pears and the first snow of the new year. To me, it's sour grape juice.

##########

You know what's good, though? Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.

I don't even mind admitting I'm having one at 10:30 in the morning.

God, I'm going to miss being a student.

I'm a wine and a coffee lover.

I can taste the nuances. But to get there takes a lot of tastings/samplings. expensive isn't always better.

Wine

Coffee

Me? I pop pills :-D The most cost effective i.e. I am cheap >_>

I dont appreciate wine. Certainly not going to pay for it. I don't think it tastes good at all.

I enjoy coffee. But i use costco columbian beans.

I enjoy dark beer. Guiness...Murphys etc.

I could never enjoy expensive wine. It would be a total waste.

Ever tried brewing your own?

Yup:smuggrin:
2sb7mfl.jpg

34h9qxj.jpg

How expensive is crossfit? I always hear people say that it is awesome, and I also hear that it's pricy. The websites are always ambiguous and don't ever give you a number, so I've never bothered showing up the gym and asking. Since I'm a broke student I would still work out at school anyway, but I have always been curious.

I don't care for wines or coffee, but I like trying different beers. A few places around here have like 40+ on tap, and you can get flights, so you basically have a bunch of mini tasting glasses. I don't have really refined tastes where I can pick different things out, but I can definitely tell the differences between them. I'm no snob though, I still enjoy Labatt or Molson.

Members don't see this ad :)
No im really not that passionate about.drinking.

But i did have 2 mcrib.sandwiches just now....really sleepy.

Buuuuurp. I'm at my local microbrewery for their weekly 1/2 off Tuesdays happy hour! I'm in their membership club, get a whole 25 once mug for the same price. Some very interesting stuff here, like cinimon and nut flavored holiday IPA. Ahhh... <sob> about the highlight of life now with an ever more demanding wife and 2nd baby on the way... DOP or a slave? I miss pharmacy school and residency.

How expensive is crossfit? I always hear people say that it is awesome, and I also hear that it's pricy. The websites are always ambiguous and don't ever give you a number, so I've never bothered showing up the gym and asking. Since I'm a broke student I would still work out at school anyway, but I have always been curious.

In my neck of the woods, wny, it runs about 150/month but many 'boxes' (what a vulger term for a gym) charge more for new members for a couple months as an 'on ramp' to get them up to speed

Not a wine.drinker. Coffee and dark beer.....

That's because you have not had really good wine.

I think the Fosso was one of my faves too, OT!

My sister and I sampled a Nebbiolo that we loved when she visited here. So this summer when we visited our parents, we had a great time tracking down the vineyard! Their Barbaresco and Dolcetto D'Alba were fantastic.
There is nothing like going to the vineyard and see the grapes and then taste the final product.

It does not show a lack of refinement on your part. I don't care about the nuances of flavor, I only care if I like the taste.

In my neck of the woods, wny, it runs about 150/month but many 'boxes' (what a vulger term for a gym) charge more for new members for a couple months as an 'on ramp' to get them up to speed
Yikes. As much as I'd like to get into crossfit and oly lifting, that'll definitely have to wait. I was considering joining somewhere while the college gym is on holiday hours, but frugality won. Do you know anything about the "cost depends on how often you attend class" kinda stuff? I think the Monroe Ave location does that.

Buuuuurp. I'm at my local microbrewery for their weekly 1/2 off Tuesdays happy hour! I'm in their membership club, get a whole 25 once mug for the same price. Some very interesting stuff here, like cinimon and nut flavored holiday IPA. Ahhh... <sob> about the highlight of life now with an ever more demanding wife and 2nd baby on the way... DOP or a slave? I miss pharmacy school and residency.

Wow. Gunning for husband of the year, I see. :smuggrin:

sad but true. I feel like Fred Flinstone sometimes.

You should work on that. I'm being serious. Things will not get better when the second child is born. I have an 18 month old and a newborn and it's VERY challenging having two so young and close in age. My husband and I work as a team and are supportive of each other. It would be unbearable otherwise. We don't have any live-in help either...

You should work on that. I'm being serious. Things will not get better when the second child is born. I have an 18 month old and a newborn and it's VERY challenging having two so young and close in age. My husband and I work as a team and are supportive of each other. It would be unbearable otherwise. We don't have any live-in help either...

I know I know, don't get me started. Soon my father in law will be joining us... God! Ok I kinda had that feeling/feel for Asian tradition before I married her. It's just this "life is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain" and "my honor to serve until bones are dust" stuff is just too overwhelming sometimes. Vacation for work is just becomes full time working at home. What the heck!?

Yikes. As much as I'd like to get into crossfit and oly lifting, that'll definitely have to wait. I was considering joining somewhere while the college gym is on holiday hours, but frugality won. Do you know anything about the "cost depends on how often you attend class" kinda stuff? I think the Monroe Ave location does that.

I don't know any of the specifics because I don't do crossfit but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a pay as you go type membership in any of my investigating but I have seen short memberships pop up on groupon type sites once in a while. I think it's super trendy right now which is driving some of the prices. Maybe it'll calm down in a little bit

If you have a garage or a friend with a garage, buy some bumper plates, jump rope, chin up bar, and lift at home. You don't have to pay $100+ per month to do crossfit. You'll have to sub a variety of the exercises to meet the WOD but its still really feasible with minimum investment. Craigslist is your friend here.

If you have a garage or a friend with a garage, buy some bumper plates, jump rope, chin up bar, and lift at home. You don't have to pay $100+ per month to do crossfit. You'll have to sub a variety of the exercises to meet the WOD but its still really feasible with minimum investment. Craigslist is your friend here.

But there isn't anyone there to yell at you to work harder and people to try to look athletic in front of. That's what the money is for. Onlookers.

I was thinking abut getting in great shape again. Mostly because I want to be 30 years old next summer and beat the crap out of college kids at basketball.

I'm behind the times with my exercise regimes and just got into spinning classes this year. With rotations and crazy schedules, I don't get to go lots, but it has helped keep me in somewhat decent shape. I even got the husband to join in! He got so into it, he even wanted a heart-rate monitor.

Although, now with the classes being over for Christmas break, I think I'm spending way too much of my downtime on the couch...

Is all everyone wants to talk about seeing 8 out 10 threads are about jobs and money.

Yep! When your student loan accrues interest daily and future jobs are kinda sparse ( depending on which SDN thread you have faith in), jobs & money will occupy most of your interests too:D
However, running 5Ks, and checking out the public library are things I can enjoy and afford. Braum's ice cream is a bonus treat!

Just loaded Jelly Bean on my Galaxy S2 :thumbup:

If your phone is rooted you can install whatever operating system you want. It's called Rom.
Decided I didn't like Kelly bean on my phone. Though I like it on my tab.

What's not to like about JB compared to ICS?

My GSII's powear button is dead. I had to install two apps to allow me to lock and unlock the phone without a power button. Tried to transplant the volume button to the power button no flux in the house (may hit up radioshack later) and it didn't desolder well w/o flux. If I had an upgrade right now, I'd get the note II but my upgrade is in July. Wonder what will be out by then...

note 2 is my next phone.
Is the button dead or does your phone not shut down?
Could be cache wipe issue

note 2 is my next phone.

Its dead. If it was software related, I could boot into download mode with the bootloader outside of the android OS. I can't do this without using adb.

I will say that software can do some crazy stuff sometimes that looks like hardware issues. I used to work in a laptop repair facility for mfg and store warranties. People would send in laptops all the time with issues that would present like hardware but wouldn't fix with part replacement. For some models, we had (at one time) factory images loaded on test HDs such that we could pull theirs out, pop ours in, and diag quick as a software issue. The only one I can remember off hand is a no audio issue that I couldn't resolve with drivers, new audio board, or speakers. Finally got the ok to swap a HD from another model and sure enough it was software.

So the price will vary by Crossfit gym. You can do the WODs (workout of the day) from the main crossfit site. But the best thing about crossfit is the community that develops. You have a group of people doing the same workout for time. it makes you hustle your booty because you know you are being timed and you don't want to finish last. Also people that finish the workout first will usually cheer on those still working on it. some will even jump back in and finish it up with you. That's what makes crossfit unique. you get instant motivation to try your best each workout. Plus for women its hard to find other women to lift weights with at a regular gym. And it can be very intimidating to go over in the weight area with a bunch of guys standing around staring at you. So Crossfit is great because it incorporates Olympic lifting. Anyways I love it. After a WOD, you are like "did I really just do that?!?!" and feel proud of yourself. This carries over into other areas of my life as well.

JB on S2 doesn't have wireless calling feature.
Also there were minor nuances and differences to ICS I didn't want to deal with.

I'm weird with phones. I've only had like 5 cell phones in my entire life. The last 3 years I had a HTC Nexus One, meanwhile all my friends have Blackberrys and iPhones. Now after my Nexus One breaks I go and buy an iPhone 4S and fall in love with it, meanwhile all my friends are switching to the Nexus 7 or Galaxy S3.

I've never really been a fan of Samsung electronics.

Google is developing their next flagship phone with Motorola (as they own them) btws. I think the overall quality (sans the screens) should go up

I've been a bootloop hell for the past few days. Went from ICS to Liquid Smooth JB to Jedi Mind Trick ICS back to Liquid Smooth and now to Clone Drones ICS.

I think the bootloops were caused by "advanced task" manager which was set to activate at each screen off.

I really like the size of S2.... S3 is a little big yet not big enough like a phablet.

Nexus 4 is intriguing but you can't add an sd card or swap out batteries....that's a no go for me.
S3 mini looks good but lacks specs. Note II sounds good but I don't want to sign a 2 year contract nor pay $500 for a phone.

Dang!

What's not to like about JB compared to ICS?

My GSII's powear button is dead. I had to install two apps to allow me to lock and unlock the phone without a power button. Tried to transplant the volume button to the power button no flux in the house (may hit up radioshack later) and it didn't desolder well w/o flux. If I had an upgrade right now, I'd get the note II but my upgrade is in July. Wonder what will be out by then...

note 2 is my next phone.

My phone broke AGAIN! (so much for my soldering job:laugh: I actually got around to fixing it late last month but really didn't have a good enough soldering iron for the job) but my mother in law is giving me her upgrade. Note II ordered tonight! :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Lol mine died too. I now have GS3. Its awesome.