Jobs for anesthesiologist assistants (AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chunk the Goony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster who will be applying to AA schools this August; however, I have a question concerning job availability for AA's. I have been under the impression that there is a shortage of anesthetists and therefore plenty of job opportunities. However, a family member talked to someone who claimed to be an anesthesiologist earlier today, and according to this person, there was a shortage of providers that existed 7 or 8 years ago but which has now been largely alleviated. To paraphrase what the anesthesiologist apparently said, "Everyone decided to become an anesthetist for the money and now there's a waiting list of graduates trying to get jobs." I'm not sure if they literally meant that anesthetists in my city are on a waiting list for jobs.

Could someone who is currently an anesthetist or anesthesiologist chime in with their take on the dynamics of the job market for AA's? I had a state scholarship pay almost all my tuition costs during college, so I'm a bit worried about taking on nearly $100k in debt and not being able to find a job when I graduate. Will I have to move to an "out of the way" (i.e., rural) town? Who do most AA's work for when they graduate (anesthesia groups or hospitals)? Do you foresee a drop in salaries over the next few years? Also, do these murmors of an oversupply of anesthetists carry any weight?

Members don't see this ad.

Check the residency forums, under anesthesiology.

AAs should be able to find jobs where ever they want. There is a growing backlash against CNRAs and a desire to replace them with AAs (as far as I understand it).

There is no backlash (except on sdn) and if there was, it wouldn't matter 1) in the states that AAs can't work in. Current legislation is expanding the # of viable states for AAs though. 2) places that hire CRNAs to work independently. 3) in the military

While the market is tighter now, you will definitely find a job after graduation if you remain flexible. With more Americans insured there will be more surgeries and the economy will eventually pick back up and more people will get elective procedures like they did before the recession.

Most AAs that I know of do not work in rural town since an anesthesiologist must be present in the vicinity for them to work. Though you may more to a city that isn't your first choice. Talk to JWK on here and he can fill you in pretty well.

Don't worry about money and good luck. Do what makes ya happy and everything else works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also heard from employees of the CRNA school in town that there are no jobs in the area and graduates must leave. Can anyone get any advice. I don't trust gov, media statistics as they are tainted, no regard for the worker. After seeing what happened to pharmacy, I'd like some real advice. Like it or not, CRNA and AAs are in the same job market. Your guys' training is even more narrow (utility-wise) than pharmDs.

There is no backlash (except on sdn) and if there was, it wouldn't matter 1) in the states that AAs can't work in. Current legislation is expanding the # of viable states for AAs though. 2) places that hire CRNAs to work independently. 3) in the military

While the market is tighter now, you will definitely find a job after graduation if you remain flexible. With more Americans insured there will be more surgeries and the economy will eventually pick back up and more people will get elective procedures like they did before the recession.

Most AAs that I know of do not work in rural town since an anesthesiologist must be present in the vicinity for them to work. Though you may more to a city that isn't your first choice. Talk to JWK on here and he can fill you in pretty well.

Don't worry about money and good luck. Do what makes ya happy and everything else works out.

It sounds like you are looking for the golden-egg-laying chicken of jobs. Well, there aren't any--in any industry. Anybody that you speak to in any industry will tell that their industry is oversaturated, all the jobs are being shipped overseas, they fire experienced personnel if favor of low cost newbies, yadda yadda.

Then... you talk to the top performers in each industry and they all tell you the same thing: 1) Don't do what Joe and Bob are doing, rather differentiate yourself; 2) Absolutely stomp the competition and it won't matter what kind of market saturation is because your skills will always be in demand due to what you uniquely provide and the awesome way in which you do it; 3) Make sure you love what you are doing so that nothing gets in your way (such as all the complaining listed in the previous paragraph).

You wanna be a CRNA or AA but are already scared that the 6 figure salary will become a 5 figure salary? Better think hard about whether you want to go through years of mental pain from all the studying and then years of financial pain from the debt. Think hard, my friend. And smart, too. Hopefully you'll find a field that your engrossed with in which you can stomp the competition. Then all the other people who complain that are in your field will simply be inconsequential.

It sounds like you are looking for the golden-egg-laying chicken of jobs. Well, there aren't any--in any industry. Anybody that you speak to in any industry will tell that their industry is oversaturated, all the jobs are being shipped overseas, they fire experienced personnel if favor of low cost newbies, yadda yadda.

Then... you talk to the top performers in each industry and they all tell you the same thing: 1) Don't do what Joe and Bob are doing, rather differentiate yourself; 2) Absolutely stomp the competition and it won't matter what kind of market saturation is because your skills will always be in demand due to what you uniquely provide and the awesome way in which you do it; 3) Make sure you love what you are doing so that nothing gets in your way (such as all the complaining listed in the previous paragraph).

You wanna be a CRNA or AA but are already scared that the 6 figure salary will become a 5 figure salary? Better think hard about whether you want to go through years of mental pain from all the studying and then years of financial pain from the debt. Think hard, my friend. And smart, too. Hopefully you'll find a field that your engrossed with in which you can stomp the competition. Then all the other people who complain that are in your field will simply be inconsequential.

Good advice.

At the moment, there is still 100% job placement for AA's. It's true that the market is significantly tighter than it was 3-5 years ago, but the jobs are still there. There are two problems. One is that people expected jobs to be handed to them - they aren't. The other is that people expected to be able to get THE job in THE hospital in the ONLY city they really wanted to work in - totally unrealistic expectation.

For example - probably 100+ CRNA's graduate from the two schools in Birmingham each year. There obviously wouldn't be that many positions in Birmingham EACH year, and more than likely, not that many positions available in the entire state. If someone goes to the UAB CRNA school and fully expects that they will absolutely have a job waiting for them in Birmingham when they finish, they're probably going to be disappointed. The same applies to AA students in Atlanta. There simply aren't enough positions available in Atlanta for every one of those students to get a job in Atlanta. Some fully realize that, but it's amazing how many are shocked to find out they may not get to work at their first choice of jobs.

Good advice.

At the moment, there is still 100% job placement for AA's. It's true that the market is significantly tighter than it was 3-5 years ago, but the jobs are still there. There are two problems. One is that people expected jobs to be handed to them - they aren't. The other is that people expected to be able to get THE job in THE hospital in the ONLY city they really wanted to work in - totally unrealistic expectation.

For example - probably 100+ CRNA's graduate from the two schools in Birmingham each year. There obviously wouldn't be that many positions in Birmingham EACH year, and more than likely, not that many positions available in the entire state. If someone goes to the UAB CRNA school and fully expects that they will absolutely have a job waiting for them in Birmingham when they finish, they're probably going to be disappointed. The same applies to AA students in Atlanta. There simply aren't enough positions available in Atlanta for every one of those students to get a job in Atlanta. Some fully realize that, but it's amazing how many are shocked to find out they may not get to work at their first choice of jobs.

I understand the sentiment you are relaying, but if the sitiuation is deteriorating, and there is no reason to see why it shouldn't continue (as more schools open), how long until the whole system (not just the surrounding area) is kaput? Right now things may be okay.

I understand the sentiment you are relaying, but if the sitiuation is deteriorating, and there is no reason to see why it shouldn't continue (as more schools open), how long until the whole system (not just the surrounding area) is kaput? Right now things may be okay.

Anesthesia, as well as some other medical specialties, or even other professions for that matter, are cyclical in their supply and demand. I've seen several huge swings in anesthesia, both up and down, in 30 years. There used to be plenty of supply with many more CRNA schools than there are now. Lots of community hospitals had their own certificate CRNA programs. Then came the BSN requirement as a pre-req, followed by the masters degree mandate in the 90's. Many CRNA schools closed and supply fell off, increasing demand. Now we're on the upward swing on CRNA schools again, so the supply is increasing.

The same thing happened with physicians. Anesthesiology went from a three year to a four year residency, which disrupted the supply of new anesthesiologists for a couple years. Supply went down, demand went up. That gradually shifted back, and there was an over-supply of anesthesiologists (at least there was that perception). So demand went down, as did salaries, and med students started going into other specialties - then of course supply drops, demand increases, etc., etc., and the cycle continues.

I am a FMG who completed anesthesia in home country and green card holder. Am i eligible for this AA job. What are the requirements

I am a FMG who completed anesthesia in home country and green card holder. Am i eligible for this AA job. What are the requirements

Pre-req's vary by institution. Your typical program would require: Bachelors degree, 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters general chemistry, anatomy and physiology, 1 or 2 semesters of physics, 1 or 2 semesters organic chemistry, 1 semester biochemistry, and calculus. However, each institution will probably have slightly different reguirements. Also keep in mind, most programs most likely will have "recency" requirements that your science coursework must have been completed within the last 5-7 years.

If you're an FMG, are you able to just apply for a residency in the US?

Pre-req's vary by institution. Your typical program would require: Bachelors degree, 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters general chemistry, anatomy and physiology, 1 or 2 semesters of physics, 1 or 2 semesters organic chemistry, 1 semester biochemistry, and calculus. However, each institution will probably have slightly different reguirements. Also keep in mind, most programs most likely will have "recency" requirements that your science coursework must have been completed within the last 5-7 years.

If you're an FMG, are you able to just apply for a residency in the US?

They need to pass the steps.

This thread is 4+ years old, how is the job market looking nowadays? I've checked gasworks and there's a ton more CRNA positions, but supposedly that isn't a reliable source for the market conditions. Expansion seems to be happening at a snails pace as the opposition to bills (CRNA's) form their armies to protest legislation.

This thread is 4+ years old, how is the job market looking nowadays? I've checked gasworks and there's a ton more CRNA positions, but supposedly that isn't a reliable source for the market conditions. Expansion seems to be happening at a snails pace as the opposition to bills (CRNA's) form their armies to protest legislation.

Unfortunately that's what just recently happened here in California. There was a bill, AB-890, brought to the Assembly that would allow AA practice in this state, and the CRNA lobby went ****ing nuts. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the destruction of Anesthesia should AA's be allowed into the club. I even remember some bull**** article from the SacBee lambasting AA's and how they would "put patients at risk", only to turn around and praise CRNA's and their independent practice in the OR. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the bill is currently dead in committee.

Such a shame. As someone who was almost exclusively trained by Anesthesiologists and who currently works side by side with them on a daily basis, I would have loved to consider AA school myself one day.

Same thing happened in NY. They get their clan together and go on the attack.

http://www.nysana.com/?page=Advocacy
The advocacy link above leads to a standard opposition letter here : http://www.nysanaadvocate.com/

Not only are they forming armies to block legislation, they're also proposing independent status legislation to break away from the Anesthesiologist altogether. I've heard the term 'militant nurse' thrown around on these forums...I can definitely see why.