Jobs for Pharmacists in Public Health??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melu227

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.... I’m currently pursuing my PharmD and am, as always, considering what I am actually going to do with it. I know right now I am going to get my MPH (Masters of Public Health) dual degree. So now I’m left wondering... what all can a pharmacist do in the public health sector? I’m not interested in hospital pharmacy, and community is not my first choice. I’m wondering if there are any options along the lines of vaccine education, HIV prevention, etc. I’m really open to anything though. I’m just not really drawn to hospital because I don’t think I would like the atmosphere and don’t want to be stuck in the same room every day. I want patient contact and education to be my focus.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Public health is so broad, there are plenty of options. Health departments, community clinics, independent pharmacies with some non-dispensing role, etc. If you are drawn to the health education / MTM side, there are positions for that. One caveat though, if you are going into anything health promotion-related, you'd be competing with lower-paid professionals (nurses, non-clinicians, etc.) - so it likely needs to be heavily drug-related.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The career you're interested in sounds more suitable for an RN or physician.

Why become a pharmacist if you don't want to work in a pharmacy?

Reactions: 6 users
Hi, I'm not interested in being a pharmacist but I'd still like to be paid like one. Please advise. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a good question to ask the school that's offering this program. Sounds like you're in a pursuit of a unicorn type job.

If USAID opens their positions to competition again, those public health jobs are unicorn. However, it's almost always given to an internal civil servant (IHS and VA were the sources of the past seven appointees including its current director), and you have to qualify under the same standards as the Foreign Service Officer track (BI, AO Health, no other country ties). If you were uniformed in ASD(HA), you're already qualified and do not go through the State's processes. There's three vacancies that I am aware of that cannot be advertised due to the current administration's cause to shrink government. They will be, but I'm sure civil service will get those first before the public. One other matter, it's more likely than even the uniformed services to be given hazard pay (meaning you're working in a country that isn't terribly friendly).

Very old posting, this is the entry level GS-13:
USAID Vacancy: OFDA Support Relief Group (SRG) - Pharmacist, World | UNjobs

Hi, I'm not interested in being a pharmacist but I'd still like to be paid like one. Please advise. Thanks.

This poignantly captures the sentiment I've heard from many pre-pharm/pharmacy students.

Reactions: 1 user