Jobs for premed students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sofa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched for related posts but i cant find a satisfactory answer to my question.

What are some good jobs that i can find as a full time college student tht will make me look better as a prospective health student?

If possible, id prefer a job where i can get certification/licensure through just taking a test. Ie. Pharm tech, CNA (maybe?).

Ive heard thqt being an EMT, or med assistant is a good option. Others have suggested labwork, but i have no idea where i can get a like that.

Please help,
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

EMT and Medical assistant works. Labwork, if you're at a research university, can often be found by asking your professors about their research and getting involved through their labs. Most professors regularly have undergraduates in the lab, so getting involved with one to do research, provided you're willing to do some legwork to see them in person whenever possible, would love to have you labor, either for free or for pay (they're usually more willing if you have work study).

Personally, I taught SAT courses through the Princeton Review, and I found it a valuable experience. As a physician, you're often called on to be a teacher in addition to all of your other roles, so having an experience like that can really enhance both your application and your future practice of medicine.

I have searched for related posts but i cant find a satisfactory answer to my question.

What are some good jobs that i can find as a full time college student tht will make me look better as a prospective health student?

If possible, id prefer a job where i can get certification/licensure through just taking a test. Ie. Pharm tech, CNA (maybe?).

Ive heard thqt being an EMT, or med assistant is a good option. Others have suggested labwork, but i have no idea where i can get a like that.

Please help,
Thanks

I just got a position as a medical scribe with Scribe America. You don't really need an experience but the do train you. You will learn alot of medical terminology. Look it up, it de\oes give you great clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most valuable jobs as a pre-med probably would be the following (no particular order)
1. Undergraduate research in basic or clinical sciences
2. TA for courses such as Intro Bio/Chem, Physio, etc. (need to be upper level student though)
3. EMT/CNA (find course in your local area; 6 month course and is super easy)
4. Campus science tutor in subjects such as bio, chem or organic

If you could do two of the above that would be really good for apps. I suggest research and TAing. You don't necessarily have to gain clinical experience by working. Shadowing is good enough. Research and TAing will be more accommodating to your student schedule than an ambulance service.

I was a General Chemistry Teaching Assistant my sophomore year of college, an Organic Chemistry Teaching Assistant junior and senior year. I got paid over the summer between sophomore and junior year to do research. Getting paid for doing research depends on how much funding the lab has. This past summer I took phlebotomy courses and got my national certification. I'm currently working as a mobile examiner in which I will go to peoples homes or work, record medical histories, draw blood, take vitals, perform EKGs, etc. I enjoyed all those experiences. But remember, a job during college isn't necessary to get into med school. If you are doing it because you need the money, then that's another story. Hope this helps.

Suggestions: CNA, EMT, ER Tech, TA for lower level science courses, tutoring, scribe, research.

Hmm i see wo the popular suggestions are cna, emt, and teaching assistants. Ok.

For CNA certification/licensure, do i have to take classes? Or can i juwt pass a test to get my certification?

Ad what exactly does a medical scribe do?

Hmm i see wo the popular suggestions are cna, emt, and teaching assistants. Ok.

For CNA certification/licensure, do i have to take classes? Or can i juwt pass a test to get my certification?

Ad what exactly does a medical scribe do?

I had a couple friends who were CNA's. They took a class over the summer, then had to take a written and a skills test if I remember correctly. You had to pass the skills 100% or you had to retake the test and there is a certain amount of time you have to wait before retesting. Requirements may vary depending on the state you are.

The scribe positions I know about are in the emergency department. It basically is exactly how it sounds. You go in with the physician and record the questions the physician asks and the answers the patient gives. The program I know about in my state you have a test to determine your words per minute (wpm) typing, and if you pass the minimum requirement then you can receive and interview.

I was a Resident Assistant and a math tutor at my university's tutoring center. I also worked in a kitchen over the summer after my first year of undergrad, it wasn't science related or glamorous. But I was able to balance that with volunteering/shadowing and taking a summer course, if you need to work, you need to work.

Its not that i NEED to have a job, i just prefer getting a medically related job because the current situation that i am in is rather difficult. I dont have a smidge of medical experience unless you count volunteering at a hospital.

I feel that having a medical job would be very good loooking on my profile and the experience could even help offset grades, correct?

Anyways, im looking for more info for medical scribes in Texas. The wierd thing is i havent ever seen any hospitals display ads for scribes in the job postings.

Does TX have special medical scribe requirements?

In my state, a person can just challenge the NA exam without having to take a course or any sort of training program.
I can't decide if this is a good thing or bad thing...lol.

I feel that having a medical job would be very good loooking on my profile and the experience could even help offset grades, correct?

This sort of work is not uncommon, so don't count on it to make you stand out. And nothing will make up for poor grades. Not to be a downer, but focus on grades first before you worry about ECs.

Good luck! :luck:

Which is easier to find jobs with? Which is more interesting to work in? (EMT or CNA)

EMT jobs can be VERY difficult to obtain, depending on where you are. IMHO, EMT work is waaaay more interesting than CNA work (I actually have experience in both). Don't narrow your field of vision. If you are looking for healthcare experience, you can even look into medical records, front desk, etc.

One thing you may run into is the fact that many of these jobs like to see prior experience. That said, USE YOUR CONNECTIONS (if you have them). And get used to it. The medical field is smaller than you think and connections can definitely help get you a job:thumbup:.

EMT jobs can be VERY difficult to obtain, depending on where you are. IMHO, EMT work is waaaay more interesting than CNA work (I actually have experience in both). Don't narrow your field of vision. If you are looking for healthcare experience, you can even look into medical records, front desk, etc.

One thing you may run into is the fact that many of these jobs like to see prior experience. That said, USE YOUR CONNECTIONS (if you have them). And get used to it. The medical field is smaller than you think and connections can definitely help get you a job:thumbup:.

And I might suggest one of the best ways to build those connections is to offer to volunteer. Say that you just want to get to know what people do, and help out in any way possible. Gets your name through all of the HR and other BS to get hired.

And I might suggest one of the best ways to build those connections is to offer to volunteer. Say that you just want to get to know what people do, and help out in any way possible. Gets your name through all of the HR and other BS to get hired.

This is true. Show persistence with the nursing staff, as well. As they get to know you, they will hook you up with the interesting procedures and docs that like to teach.

Also, I built a strong relationship with the physician I shadowed during undergrad. That opened a number of doors for my current job.

If you have a below a 3.3 GPA and have around 2 more years, I would suggest holding off from getting a job that is time consuming and focus on GPA and MCAT. You can still do volunteering, since it is not a set time of commitment.

I'm a CNA and a Lab Tech at a private lab for physician and nursing home samples. Unfortunately I don't get to do research since there is none, but at least I get to page a pissy doctor at 3am to tell them their patient has a panic high potassium :thumbup:

CNA sucks if you get grossed out easily. One girl during my training almost threw up because while we were performing peritoneal care on a patient, the patient was having diarrhea due to the stimulation of us cleaning her. Oh yeah, I can't eat tilapia anymore because it reminds me of another patient I cleaned haha.

The point was that I guess those are ok pre-med jobs...the CNA only needs a certification (took me about a month) and I landed the lab job w/out experience, but I think I got it because I was a bio major and about to graduate.

I was a TA for many semesters. I got a lot of positive feedback on it at interviews, with many of my interviewers emphasizing how important it is for a physician to be a good educator and communicator.

Plus, if you have a good relationship with the professors you TA for, you have a built in LOR ready to go.

I'd do this. I'd rather be involved in school activities and/or building a rapport with professors than trying to get a CNA/EMT/Scribe job the most pre-meds have. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it.