Jobs for spouses -look now or on March 18th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlbmeh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question came up before in another thread but what are people doing or what have people done in the past with regard to job possibilities before March 18th?

My spouse has started looking for job opportunities in the cities of our top 3programs. I have gotten positive feedback from all 3 programs but apparently this feedback means nothing anyway.

I am very happy with all 3 and would be thrilled to match at each. The thing that will really determine the actual rank list is if my spouse has a job in that particular city.

At the same time, my spouse wants to interview but what are they supposed to say "maybe I will be able to relocate - can you hold the position for 2 months"? My spouse is in a field where deals happen pretty fast and people will not wait around 2 months.

Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently having a similar problem. My take is this. While I think it's totally fine to look at job opportunities and approach contacts in the area around you top choices (in order to see which cities have more openings than others - which may influence your rank list order), I think it's premature to start interviewing and applying for jobs yet until you know where you're going to end up. Match Day is mid-March, and most programs don't start until mid/late June (I guess this can depend on what you are applying in, though). This gives your spouse roughly 3 months to interview and find a position that he or she really likes, instead of having to rush to grab the first possible offer. Also, if your spouse is currently employed and you are ranking a nearby program, he/she does not want to burn bridges at his/her current position, should you happen to match near home.

I'd say to start looking and networking now, but delay the formal application process until after the match. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place - you want to submit your rank list taking job opportunities into account, but you won't really be able to fully assess job opportunities until you match. Argg.

Thanks Lady Wolverine.

I was thinking that would be the reasonable thing to do.

My spouse was contacted by a headhunter about a job in the city of my first choice. Its a great job (their dream job).

Bummer :(

I'd say to start looking and networking now, but delay the formal application process until after the match. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place - you want to submit your rank list taking job opportunities into account, but you won't really be able to fully assess job opportunities until you match. Argg.

:thumbup:

Completely with you on the frustration too, Its making me pull my hair out everyday.