Jobs 'n' extra-curriculars!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDJatt here

hi
what kinda jobs y'all think can be considered useful for us(make us money) and at the same time be accounted for as EC's for med. school application.
Its always better to work at places relating to any med. field instead of working at McDonalds, Starbucks, Tim Hortons or w/e.
Serious responses will be appreciated
Thx

Members don't see this ad.

MDJatt here said:
hi
what kinda jobs y'all think can be considered useful for us(make us money) and at the same time be accounted for as EC's for med. school application.
Its always better to work at places relating to any med. field instead of working at McDonalds, Starbucks, Tim Hortons or w/e.
Thx

dancing on a poll.

dittozip said:
dancing on a poll.

serious responses: being a lab tech pays. being a tutor is a teaching experience. washing bed pans in a hospice or something of the sort.

Members don't see this ad :)
TA in some science course such as Microbiology or Physiology.

Lab Research.

Get some certification for a lab tech/get an entry level job at a hospital lab and get the training there.

Work as a pharmacy tech.

If you know where/how to look there is plenty out there.

Talk to your professors about jobs. Some of them may need help in lab, or might know people who need your help. I found my job at a pathology lab through my genetics professor.

Also working in a hospital is always good. I work in the OR and it pays alright, provides a lot of study time, and gives you patient contact.

So as far as good jobs for EC's I would list the following:
1) Hospital-
Either apply for a job with no experience and get a job as a nurse's assistant. Or you could train to be a phlebotomist, EMT, CNA, etc.
2) Lab-
There are a number of jobs in labs at hospitals. I took thin prep pap smears from their bottles and put them onto slides and stained them.
3) Research Lab-
Talk to your professors, advisors etc and see if anyone knows of a research lab you can be a part of.
4) Tutor-
Talk to head of the department, or individual professors and see if they need students to tutor for their classes.
5) TA-
Like many others, ask professors if they need help, and a lot of the times they will and you can get paid, getting a good EC.

The others have mentioned good jobs...I just wanted to throw in a piece of (possibly unwanted) advice. Whatever you do, watch it with work. Adcoms don't appear to value paid work highly. If you have a choice between earning an extra 0.1-0.2 overall GPA or getting paid work experience, the latter will help you a lot more than the former.

I understand some people have to work - I did. I would just hate to see someone else make the mistake of working *too much* with the thought that the admissions committee would be impressed by your independence or adjust their expecations. It's unlikely that they will.

Good luck.

GwinnettPreMed said:
The others have mentioned good jobs...I just wanted to throw in a piece of (possibly unwanted) advice. Whatever you do, watch it with work. Adcoms don't appear to value paid work highly. If you have a choice between earning an extra 0.1-0.2 overall GPA or getting paid work experience, the latter will help you a lot more than the former.

I understand some people have to work - I did. I would just hate to see someone else make the mistake of working *too much* with the thought that the admissions committee would be impressed by your independence or adjust their expecations. It's unlikely that they will.

Good luck.

Yeah the most important thing is gpa/mcat, don't kill yourself working so hard to impress anyone and let your gpa slip.

Also it isn't a bad idea to volunteer a little either. You can pretty much do any of the above jobs as volunteer work. Also it will be easier to get those oppurtunities as a volunteer compared to a paying position. This is useful if you have no real skills, phelotomist, emt etc.

I have the best job of all. I work in the CT/MRI dept on the weekends only. My pay is real nice because of the weekend differential + I get to sit here and study (when it's not busy)+ i get to see bloody,gorey stuff + I get to see how everything works as far as ordering any kind of radiology study+ your good ol' patient contact.

I'm blessed. :)

MDJatt here said:
hi
Thx

Being an RA, maybe? You'll get free room and board at most schools. Some schools you can work your way up to a leadership position where you get paid.

MDJatt here said:
hi
Thx

work in a hospital, as an EMT, in a clinic, etc...

OP- Any job that you can be successful at and give you something to talk about. Working a grunt level job at a hospital or EMS is a fantastic opportunity if you do not have the chance to have any meaningful patient contact otherwise.

But if you can get that through volunteering, having a job that will give you something to talk about at interviews and during applications and show that you can meet goals and succeed will work too.

Med schools are not looking for applicants who have any medical skills. They are fully expecting to train you for that. If you have 'em, bonus! But they're not needed.

Again, this is not to say that you do not need clinical skills. Only that they don't have to come from your day job.

pharmacy tech.....
some states have "techs" then something like "assistants/clerk"

assistant/clerk positions are entry level, and is on the job training to be a tech.

I was an EMT. Made close to $10,000 in the time I did it. You'd have to be nuts to volunteer that much time.