Jobs that Med Schools like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playa4real

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what type of jobs would look good on med school apps. I am trying to find one but am having a hard time hearing back from people. What types of jobs are you doing and how did you go about getting one?

btw I am in boston

Members don't see this ad.

I am working as a Research Assistant(fulltime) in the College of Medicine of a state university. Basic research position doing basic research activities. It is more stimulating and mentally taxing than a nonscience profession and hopefully therefore a large + for me in my application process - at least to that particular program. I think this is a typical job for one who is working while applying to med school so I do not think that it will serve to separate my application from the pack.

As for how I got my position, Just keep an eye on positions at universities I was interested in working at and sent in apps as requested, got an interview and position within a month or two.

Forget about getting a job just because you think it'll look good on your resume and go do something that you enjoy. If you like something, chances are, you'll find it a lot more interesting, put more commitment into it, and will have something interesting to talk about during your interviews. I promise you, med schools will be more impressed by that.

Members don't see this ad :)
FenixFyre said:
Forget about getting a job just because you think it'll look good on your resume and go do something that you enjoy. If you like something, chances are, you'll find it a lot more interesting, put more commitment into it, and will have something interesting to talk about during your interviews. I promise you, med schools will be more impressed by that.

I can't agree with this enough. Why would one assume that med schools would want to see someone working as opposed to doing something more enjoyable, yet educational and beneficial? I guarantee you the applicant who tutors kids after school or helps out people at a homeless shelter or who plays a sport or who does research will look better than someone who got a mediocre entry level job somewhere. The whole point is that you should be doing something that you really really like - but also excelling at it. Showing leadership is key. Showing that you are really putting your 100% into an activity is more telling of who you are than dabbling in 3 or 4 things. Show them dedication and you're on the right track.

But if you find a job that you absolutely love then go for it. I'm just trying to say you can do ANYTHING you want (research, volunteering, etc) to do as long as you really put your all into it. For the most part the adcoms don't give a hoot what you do, just HOW you do it.

i went with the job that i could get and that had a shorter commute. hopefully itll work out in my favor b/c if ive learned one thing from working in the financial world, its that i have to get the hell out and back to school!!

but in the boston area, there are LOADS of positions at brigham and womens, dana farber, and mgh. i initally was taking a research job at b&w but it would have required an hr and a half commute each way. not so much. but you do get to take free classes at harvard....

Playa:

I work for harvard/mgh doing research. Since most of the research technicians in my lab are applying to medical school there is a big turnover. Some job opportunities are sure to open up. If you give me your resume and cover letter i'd be happy to float it to the PI's in my lab.

notsittinpretty said:
Playa:

I work for harvard/mgh doing research. Since most of the research technicians in my lab are applying to medical school there is a big turnover. Some job opportunities are sure to open up. If you give me your resume and cover letter i'd be happy to float it to the PI's in my lab.

These jobs require a degree correct? Is there any research jobs available for undergrads?

I like the jobs that pay $$$. And med schools will like what I tell them to like ;)

You have to have a bachelor's degree yes. It's mostly for people who want to take a year or so off before applying to medical school. You get great LOR out of it as well. There are 1 or 2 undergraduates in our lab, but they are there only for the summer. A little late to be applying to those anyway though.

nexts summer , take an emt-b class(3 months) and work as an ER-tech in the ED. Pluse it pays $15 an hour here in FL ,so my guess in Boston it would probably pays MORE.

Gutierrez001 said:
nexts summer , take an emt-b class(3 months) and work as an ER-tech in the ED. Pluse it pays $15 an hour here in FL ,so my guess in Boston it would probably pays MORE.

Well if boston pays more, I think I have found my job for next summer.

Thing is, in bigger cities, you need to have your EMT-P to be an ER tech, which at least in MI, is now a two-year associate degree program. =P Thank GOD I barely squeaked in before that deadline! But the pay is like $18/hr. :cool:

fullefect1 said:
Well if boston pays more, I think I have found my job for next summer.

I cannot help you with jobs med schools would like after college and before med school... however, what looks really impressive is working fulltime or almost while you are going to school and still kickin tale on the MCAT and getting those good grades.