joelcigan: graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a message yesterday about my chances of getting into med school with a UC Davis cummulative gpa of 3.2/2.7 Science and a gpa of 3.50 combined with that of Fresno City College where I transferred from. I currently received my B.A.S. degree in Italian and Biology.
Should I go to graduate school at my state college in Fresno and enroll in the postbaccalaureate program in biotechnology in order to boost my gpa? This 1 yr. certificate program can be applied to getting a masters degree so I thought if I applied to med school this coming June and didn't get accepted, I would only have 1 yr left before I would receive my masters and then I could reapply. Does a masters degree increase your chances of getting into med school? Would going to graduate school to try to boost my gpa help me in this process or should I concentrate on finding a meaty job in a hospital or clinic and study for the MCAT instead (I'm enrolled to take the test this April)?

Thanks.
Joel

Members don't see this ad.

Graduate school probably won't help your bid for a position that much. I would not recommend going to graduate school with the motive of using it to get into medical school.
Keep in mind though, a science GPA of 2.7 is low and raising it with your graduate classes may help a little, but going about it this way is long, hard, and not guaranteed!

Your MCAT will probably be most crucial now.

NOTE THAT WITH FURTHER INFORMATION ON A LATER POST I ENDED UP SAYING GRAD SCHOOL WAS PROBABLY A GOOD OPTION!
------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

[This message has been edited by drhenderson (edited August 25, 1999).]