1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

joelcigan: Pre-Med Advice / Resume

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jim Henderson, Aug 23, 1999.

1. Jim Henderson

10+ Year Member

I have a couple of questions regarding my chances of acceptance into medical school:
    I received my A.S. in Life Science at Fresno City College (a community college) and the Dean's Medallion with an overall gpa of 3.787. I transferred to UC Davis after two years of study at Fresno City College and graduated from there with a B.A. in Italian and a B.S. in Biology with an overall gpa of 3.2, 2.7 Science gpa, and a 3.50 combined with that of the community college (I took most of the prerequisites for med school there except for ochem which I took at UCD). Should I take the MCAT this April even with this undergrad GPA? Should I consider a different career or go to grad school to boost my gpa?

Thanks.

Joel
    [email protected]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drhenderson

drhenderson Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It is true that admissions committees look critically at grades that have declined after transferring from a community college to a four year college. This is because, in general, the transition reflects a change to a more rigorous and more strictly graded system. Medical school is even a bigger leap... light years from college in difficulty and shear amount of information thrown at students.
    However, I would go ahead and take the MCAT, if you think you are prepared. If you do really well on the MCAT, you might ease the mind of a critical admission committee member and convince him or her that you have the ability to handle the curriculum.

------------------
    Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net