John F Kennedy University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tears for susan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One issue i am having struggles with right now is whether to apply to JFK uni.
They dont require the GRE and have about a 50% APPIC internship placement rate. The thing that appeals to me most about it is the location. It will likely serve as a back-up school, but here is my potential dilema:

If JFK is the only school i get into, as a back-up (I am appling to eight others all around the country), should i take it over pursuing a master's and then re-applying for better univeristies later?

I understand that it has a relatively poor reputation.

Members don't see this ad.

If JFK is the only school i get into, as a back-up (I am appling to eight others all around the country), should i take it over pursuing a master's and then re-applying for better univeristies later?

Yes. Your chances for getting an internship from that program is at chance basically. My bet is the majority of their alum are doing the CAPIC thing. Severely limiting. However, you would necessarily need get a masters. Unless you have a poor undergrad GPA that you need to offset, a masters degree doesn't make that much more competitive for doctoral programs. The best route, especially economically, would be to just try gain next year. Use the year to bump up GREs and get some experience, clinical or research.

Last edited:
One issue i am having struggles with right now is whether to apply to JFK uni. They dont require the GRE and have about a 50% APPIC internship placement rate. The thing that appeals to me most about it is the location. It will likely serve as a back-up school....

Any program that doesn't require a GRE would be a red flag for me. Although the GRE isn't a great predictor of success, it is standard practice for pretty much all doctoral programs. As for the placement rate, I'd be pretty careful, not only from a practice standpoint (having half of your cohort not place every year....whoa), but also because APPIC may be making some changes to programs that don't have high placement rates.

Check out my APPIC thread for more information.

(making now)

One issue i am having struggles with right now is whether to apply to JFK uni.
They dont require the GRE and have about a 50% APPIC internship placement rate. The thing that appeals to me most about it is the location. It will likely serve as a back-up school, but here is my potential dilema:

I understand that it has a relatively poor reputation.

You can always say no later. Have a safety school/backup plan. It's cheap insurance and provides a little bit of relief knowing that you have a plan. After looking at your stats though, I don't think you'll need to go this low on the list, but my first year humbled me. So one really super safety school is ok.