Johns Hopkins Biotech MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avi12003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has insight into this program and if it is worth it? Also, will it help me during my medical school application?

Thank You for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hell no, do not waste 50+K on an M.S like that, it's a comp waste.

I know a guy who got this degree from Hopkins. Somehow, he ended up going Carribean after it, so I don't think it helped too much at all. But that's just one situation, so if its something you'd really enjoy, go for it. If not, and you need to improve your gpa or something, do an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stay away from part time programs in general. If you are going to do a master's to boost your sGPA, enroll in a full time program. (Unless, of course, you are a nontrad with a job and a full time program is not an option.)

I would stay away from part time programs in general. If you are going to do a master's to boost your sGPA, enroll in a full time program. (Unless, of course, you are a nontrad with a job and a full time program is not an option.)

I'm pretty sure this is meant as a thing for working in biotech industry. Prob not the best option if med school is what you're going for

I'm pretty sure this is meant as a thing for working in biotech industry. Prob not the best option if med school is what you're going for

If it doesn't require the GRE or ask for a standardized exam score then chances are it isn't great for anything other than a job.

I am in a 1 year biotech program right now. I can tell you that none of the schools I interviewed at cared about anything it entailed; they just wanted to know if I would be done in May.

Biotech IMO is not really relevant to medicine at this time. You can spin it all you want that genetic technology will be incorporated into medicine soon, but I just don't see where that technology is going to come from that is a) cost effective/efficient and b) actually useful to the vast majority of physicians.

The only reason I did mine is that the program I'm in is costing me $6,000 for the year and if I hadn't gotten in this cycle the program gave me an option to switch to a 2 year thesis masters and complete my thesis next year.

50k+ for a degree that won't help you, is way too much