Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella_MCH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have recently decided to attend JHSPH in the fall for the MSPH program in the department of PFRH. I will have to relocate to Baltimore and I wanted to start searching for potential roommates. After speaking with current students and graduates of JHSPH, I am interested in Bolton Hill, Mt. Vernon, Federal Hill etc. Also, I will be attending the Admitted Students Day events in late March if anyone is interested in connecting then.

Congratulations to those who have received acceptances this year! Very excited and looking forward to connecting!

Members don't see this ad.

I accepted my offer of admission for the MHS program in Clinical and Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and paid my enrollment deposit today! So I am officially a part of the Centennial Class of 2016! I am looking into opportunities to engage in graduate student research and community service during my first year so far so I have been emailing professors to find opportunities. I haven't really looked at housing yet, but I will be looking around during the weekend of Admitted Students Day on the 27th and 28th. Congratulations to you as well!

Reactions: 1 users
That's exciting! So relieved to be done with this process.

I have also talked with a couple of professors about their work and anticipated projects for students in the fall. I have held off from contacting more because students that I have spoken with discourage working the first two terms. I'll find out more information about schedules and work opportunities on the 28.

As for hobbies - I am interested in joining a club sports team, preferably volleyball, but again not sure if i'll have time to do that. If I can manage working and the rigorous coursework, then finding a job is my first priority.

Does anyone have leads on scholarship opportunities for graduate students pursuing public health degrees? All of the ones that I am finding are for students interested in health care management. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Congratulations to both of you! I have been offered acceptance to the MHS program for Epidemiology at JHU, and I'm really excited, though I'm still ambivalent about going. JHU is a dream school for me and I really want to go, but I'm really intimidated by the crime in the city. I'm a tiny Asian female, whose primary method of transportation is walking so I'm a bit scared to accept the offer to JHU at this point. I'm currently in Toronto so I'm also interested in roommate though my focus on apartment searching will have to wait until I'm sure on attending JHU. For the record, I'm interested in living in Federal Hill, Fells Point or Charles Village.

I'll be attending the March 28 open house so maybe I'll see you guys there!

From what I have been told by a friend who lives in Baltimore is that JHU has security booths all around the JHMI campus and that although there are some bad neighborhoods, crime doesn't really happen around unless you venture out in those neighborhoods where residents of the city of Baltimore live. I grew up in a relatively affluent upper middle class neighborhood, and although I am an African American male (different scenario) I believe that common sense and just being aware of where you are can go a long way. I would definitely visit to see what your impressions are of the school if safety is primarily the concern. I also don't have a car and I walk everywhere, but I think I will take advantage of the shuttles that are offered. I am pretty sure that they also have a night ride system for students, faculty and staff.

I have only emailed one faculty member (the person I would like to work with). He has been really flexible in terms of me possibly working the first year while taking classes, but I will hopefully speak with him at admitted students day to find out more information. I am not picking up other extracurriculars except mentoring/tutoring youth because I am passionate about education as well. I am going to be emailing SOURCE sometime next week to talk about those kinds of opportunities. Grades still matter unfortunately since I am applying to medical school after my first year but the less loans I have the better. I guess it's all about balance. I also haven't found out about any scholarships.

See you guys on the 28!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I got accepted into the MHS program in Social Factors in Health department for fall 2014. Can't wait! Although I am a bit nervous about packing up and moving across the country. I will also be attending the welcome day on the 28th. I have a few of the same worries as erniebert about the crime rate in Baltimore, so I'm looking to rent a place a little outside of the main city. I also have 2 dogs I will be bringing with me so a place further out in the country with a yard would be ideal.

Can't wait to meet everyone in a week!

Hey everyone! I am also going to the admitted students day on the 28th, and am also interested in housing options. I'm excited to meet everyone, and maybe even find a roommate!

Hi everyone! I've been accepted into the ScM in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology. I'd like to go to the admitted students day on April 4th but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it back down to MD from MI (went to GW last week and Emory this past weekend).

Regardless, I'm going to accept!

Also hunting for scholarships, though haven't been able to find anything in PH as a white female without any special hobbies or strong leadership but I'm hoping there are some microbio/immuno/NTD ones. If you are any kind of ethnic/racial minority, I saw a ton of scholarships, especially for Native Americans/Alaskans. Also, if you played sports (especially golf) or had some strong leadership role there are def some out there.

@erniebert totally agree with NeurosciTMS. I have a lot of friends in Baltimore and you just need to be smart as with any city. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods (fed hill, mount vernon, fells point, etc) I've walked around in at night and have felt totally safe. I talked to a girl this weekend at Emory who works at JH med school, she said most of the crime around campus seems to be people talking on their cell phones having them stolen out of their hands. Don't turn down JHSPH because of Baltimore! It has a lot of "charm" :p

Hi everyone! I've been accepted into the ScM in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology. I'd like to go to the admitted students day on April 4th but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it back down to MD from MI (went to GW last week and Emory this past weekend).

Regardless, I'm going to accept!

Also hunting for scholarships, though haven't been able to find anything in PH as a white female without any special hobbies or strong leadership but I'm hoping there are some microbio/immuno/NTD ones. If you are any kind of ethnic/racial minority, I saw a ton of scholarships, especially for Native Americans/Alaskans. Also, if you played sports (especially golf) or had some strong leadership role there are def some out there.

@erniebert totally agree with NeurosciTMS. I have a lot of friends in Baltimore and you just need to be smart as with any city. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods (fed hill, mount vernon, fells point, etc) I've walked around in at night and have felt totally safe. I talked to a girl this weekend at Emory who works at JH med school, she said most of the crime around campus seems to be people talking on their cell phones having them stolen out of their hands. Don't turn down JHSPH because of Baltimore! It has a lot of "charm" :p

Congratulations on your acceptance! What type of scholarships did you find for minorities? I have been looking around and I have not really found any.

Congratulations on your acceptance! What type of scholarships did you find for minorities? I have been looking around and I have not really found any.

Thanks, congrats to you too! Okay so, I didn't bookmark any of them for obvious reasons but these are the sites I remember looking at so look through them and see if any apply. I think it'd also be a good idea to search for scholarships specific to your epi interest? Sometimes there are weird, very specific scholarships out there.

http://scholarships.fastweb.com/y-first-year-graduate-students

http://www.latinocollegedollars.org/

http://www.pdsoros.org/links/scholarships.cfm

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search

https://www.collegeanswer.com/

I'll bookmark and post any I see here from now on. Also, please let me know if you guys stumble across any for microbio/immuno/vector borne disease/NTD ... It's looking like I'll just have to take the loans for now and then hopefully will be able to apply for grants once I start actually doing research.

Thanks, congrats to you too! Okay so, I didn't bookmark any of them for obvious reasons but these are the sites I remember looking at so look through them and see if any apply. I think it'd also be a good idea to search for scholarships specific to your epi interest? Sometimes there are weird, very specific scholarships out there.

http://scholarships.fastweb.com/y-first-year-graduate-students

http://www.latinocollegedollars.org/

http://www.pdsoros.org/links/scholarships.cfm

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search

https://www.collegeanswer.com/

I'll bookmark and post any I see here from now on. Also, please let me know if you guys stumble across any for microbio/immuno/vector borne disease/NTD ... It's looking like I'll just have to take the loans for now and then hopefully will be able to apply for grants once I start actually doing research.

Thanks for all of the scholarship website information. I feel like I am going to get all loans as well. Have you or anyone else received information about their financial aid package yet?

Thanks for all of the scholarship website information. I feel like I am going to get all loans as well. Have you or anyone else received information about their financial aid package yet?
Nope, I'm still waiting to hear about financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone:) i am doing my final year pharmD. I would like to apply for MPH programme in USA. I had gone through top grad school ranking list for MPH,here is the link
grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings

I don't have relevant work experience & i am excited to join MPH programme upon completing my graduation. I would be thankful if any one here could provide me a little guidance

GRE score 315
I have good academics
Co-author for 2 good impact manuscripts in the field of cancer
Two online course certificates i.e, one from each Harvard & texas
Two international presentations during my graduation

Do i require prior experience for every corse in MPH such as Biostatistics, EPidemiology, Global health? I gone through Columbia University MPH website,they mentioned experience requirement for epidemiology & global health only but not Biostatistics.Which one is feasible in terms of employment opportunities?

Is it worth doing in top 25 mph schools ?What is my chance of acceptance among JHU,UNC,COLUMBIA UNIV, UNIV of WASHINGTON, EMORY, UNC, YALE, BOSTON UNIV, TULANE,UNIV of TEXAS

Thnx one and all
@Dilip

I just got the e-mail from financial aid with the ISIS ID to fill out the PH Student Aid App. I'm hoping they can at least offer some kind of work/study deal. The MMI department only has scholarships for PhD students :eyebrow:

I just got the e-mail from financial aid with the ISIS ID to fill out the PH Student Aid App. I'm hoping they can at least offer some kind of work/study deal. The MMI department only has scholarships for PhD students :eyebrow:

Yea it seems like all departmental scholarships are for PhD students. I am hoping we all get some good financial aid packages even though the chances of that are slim. Nothing wrong with thinking positive right.

Hey! Glad to see more traffic on this forum. I was beginning to think that the Hopkins students were shy! :)
@doinitswell - Thank you so much for the links! I will let you know if I come across scholarships/grants that I think you may be eligible for.

No word on financial aid package yet, but we should hear from them soon. Yes, stay optimistic!

@Dilip - Be mindful that the ranking you are referring to is a couple of years old. Schools were surveyed in 2010 I believe. Rankings are probably about the same, but I would suggest that you direct your focus elsewhere. Have you had the chance to explore the research being conducted at the institutions that you mentioned? I am volunteering at a global health NGO and so often I hear advice about choosing a school that has a great program, but that is also affordable. If you have LinkedIn, I would reach out to students at the institutions that you are interested in and do informational interviews. (You could also contact the schools to gather contact information for student ambassadors.) Even if a school is not in the top 25, you may find that it is the best school for you. Apply to a mix- you're application will likely be well-received.

Looking forward to connecting with you all on Friday! I am flying in on Thursday afternoon and should be free for dinner or exploring the city. Let me know if you are interested.

Looking forward to connecting with you all on Friday! I am flying in on Thursday afternoon and should be free for dinner or exploring the city. Let me know if you are interested.

I fly in Thursday afternoon to DC. I'm flying in and out of DC because I family there to stay with, and it's cheaper for gas for the 45 minute drive from their place to Baltimore than it is to get a hotel. I'm planning on driving straight to Baltimore Thursday afternoon to look at some of the neighborhoods for potential housing, and would love to get dinner and meet some people!

When are you guys thinking of moving to Baltimore? I'm trying to move there pretty soon if I can but I'm not finding any great housing options on craigslist ...

I fly in on Thursday afternoon as well. I will also be apartment hunting on Thursday just to get a feel for the area I would like to live in. Dinner sounds cool though. Maybe somehow we could all meet as a group. I am moving to Baltimore in August since I am currently participating in AmeriCorps. I will probably sign a lease or something much earlier though depending on where I decide to live.

I pm'd the folks who are interested in connecting Thursday night. How do you add others to the conversation? (I could not figure out how to have more than two users in the conversation.)

I talked to an alum of the program and she highly recommended that I look for housing in Fells Point. (Upper Fells Point is closer to campus and does have somewhat affordable housing options.) Originally, I was looking for one roommate, but it may work better in my budget if I have more roommates to split expenses. A row house with 3-5 BR, 2-3BA would work well for me. I want to move mid-August to settle in before Orientation and classes start.

Last edited:
Hey guys! How was visit day? Did any of you look at housing options yet - particularly Charles Village? I know it's kind of far and near the undergrad campus but it's sooooo cheap! I can't tell if it'd be super boring or so much of a hassel to do anything that the cheap rent wouldn't be worth it, though.

Going to post my admitted students day thoughts when I get back home.

Detailed Overview of Admitted Students Day:

Admitted students day for me was excellent. Before admitted students day, I got the chance to tour the medical institutions campus and the Homewood campus. I walked around and the safety issues that I thought were true about Baltimore were practically non-existent. You have to be street smart. Being in Baltimore reminded me of being in any city. There are nice parts and there are not so nice parts. People were friendly and a couple of people just came up to me and talked to me because they realized that I was not from the area.

I hopped on the Hopkins shuttle and a bus driver that sensed that I was not from the area talked to me and we started having a conversation about housing and he showed me around the various places where students lived as he drove and dropped off students at various bus stops. The security presence is very high. Charles Village, Mt. Vernon and Fells Point were very nice areas and depending on how many people you live with, one of the students on the student panel said that you can pay as low as $550 for rent (this specific person had 4 other roommates I believe). It seemed as though a lot of people got their housing from Craigslist as well so I will try to look into that option. Anyway the main goal of the first day for me was to tour the campus and to become familiar with the light rail system and the metro system. Transportation near campus seems really efficient.

Admitted Students Day was a great experience for me. The building is very nice architecturally and it seemed like it was just renovated. Talking with current students was very cool and it seemed like a lot of students had really different backgrounds and experiences. Some were older with more advanced degrees, some had been working in the field for a while and others had come straight out of undergrad. It was nice seeing the mix. I also ran into a lot of international students, which was great. We sat through an overview presentation of the school, which was great other than the reiteration of the number one ranking. During the presentation we learned about the history of the school, some outstanding faculty that they had and some of the past deans and famous alumni of the school. Then we broke up into different seminar sessions. I went to the department of epidemiology session which was a seminar on sex workers and how having an occupation like jewelry making and sowing can help reduce HIV risk and number of sex partners because of the increase income and exposure to what I call “life improvement” workshops that the sex workers participated in. This was a very great and informative seminar. We then had SOURCE talk to us about opportunities to get involved in the community since Baltimore has a lot of health needs. The student panel was great. The students were funny, down to earth and they really gave us good information about housing and the city of Baltimore. Again, they emphasized that Baltimore is a city of neighborhoods and when I toured the area the day before I really felt that way. In one place it may seem rough, but by the school and in certain neighborhoods nearby it’s not bad at all. Downtown is amazing and I went by the harbor after the day was over to watch the NCAA Sweet Sixteen tournament at a bar/restaurant and the food and atmosphere was great.

After lunch, I went to a seminar given by the professor that I had kept in contact with and because of that I was able to get a deeper sense of the research that I wanted to do, the faculty that I would be working with in the cardiovascular epidemiology department and basically an overall sense of my department. The things that I learned about the faculty in my department really showed me why Hopkins is #1 in my eyes. One faculty member that I met had been cited over 30,000 times and had over 300 publications. It was hearing things like this, or hearing about the amount of grants and publications and the time that they spend collaborating with faculty at the school of medicine, nursing and public health that really made me feel like I could accomplish my goals at JHSPH. At Hopkins research does not occur from the top down. Faculty and students are working together for a common goal. Research at Hopkins did not seem hierarchical in nature. In most research settings, faculty are competing for professorships and it seems as though masters and undergraduate students are just doing the “dirty work.” At Hopkins, I did not get a sense of this at all. One of the faculty members said that at Hopkins, the research environment is more like a Venn diagram and not top down in nature. At Hopkins it also seemed like all of the three schools were integrated. There are tri-institutional days of service where students in the three schools participate in community service in the Baltimore area. It also seemed like Hopkins has a commitment to improving health needs in the city of Baltimore.

After that seminar we broke up into our departmental sessions and talked to departmental faculty. This was where I really got all of my questions answered. Because my cohort in CVD epidemiology is so small, not only did I get all of my questions answered at the departmental session but I was also given a tour of the Welch Center where students in my track spend a lot of their time. I even had a chance to chat with current doctoral and MSTP students at the Welch Center about their experiences, which was very helpful. I asked about the course load, atmosphere, clinical focus, research, how getting a faculty mentor works and the school/life balance. All of the students seemed really nice and interested in their work and had great relationships with their faculty mentors. After that session, I went back to the school where the reception was occurring. This was also great because I got to talk to a lot of students from various departments over wine and good sweets.

One of the major drawbacks to the day was that financial aid was not mentioned once. It was not acknowledged and the administration was not very approachable when students asked about financial aid. Its like they did not recognize the issue because again, the Hopkins is #1 mentality was very pervasive and maybe it is because they assume that most students know about the 75% tuition waiver for the second year. Although money is not necessarily a factor in my decision because both schools I was comparing were similar in cost, it would have really been helpful for students to get some answers to their financial aid questions or at least it would have been helpful for the school to display that they were concerned about the financial burden that many of their admitted students face. I have no idea why this part was omitted, but it really made no sense because this is a big issue for master’s students. We all know Doctoral students get funding, but since masters students don’t really get too much funding it would be nice to hear about financial aid or possible scholarships.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience because I got everything that I wanted out of it. I came out of admitted students day feeling like if I work hard, I can accomplish a lot of my goals and take advantage of all of the opportunities that are available to me.

Good luck to all of those making those difficult decisions in the next two weeks! I look forward to some of you being my classmates. Someone told me during admitted students day that I really looked like I was engaged and that I was enjoying my experience and I really was. I really liked the school, what it has to offer and the city of Baltimore. Feel free to PM me about any questions that you may have. I know this is a long message and my grammar is terrible since I am writing this without proofreading.

Reactions: 5 users
any word on when we'll here about financial aid?

I asked last Friday at Admitted Students Day, and the financial aid person said they are aiming for mid-April. When I asked if they will be out before we need to submit our decision April 15th, they said "we hope so but we have to finish the financial aid for students beginning in the summer session first." Not sure how I am supposed to commit to a school without knowing what my financial aid package will be...

any word on when we'll here about financial aid?

An "additional Information" tab did appear on my ISIS account though so I am guessing we should be hearing about financial aid pretty soon.

Thanks for such a detailed review @NeurosciTMS ! Very helpful. haha in my letter of acceptance it said something like, " please fill out the financial aid forms if you cannot attending JHSPH without some sort of assistance" hahahah seriously? Who has 50-60K lying around?! Though apparently some people are able to procure grants to cover everything >.>

Got my financial aid package 10 minutes ago. All loans, except my AmeriCorps educational award and some work study. I will be applying for some outside scholarships just to lessen the amount of debt that I will owe.

Last edited:
@NeurosciTMS, thanks for sharing your admitted students' day experiences, I'm not able to visit JHU, so your input was appreciated. I was debating between JHU and Michigan, but officially accepted my offer yesterday to attend JHU's MPH program starting this summer. Can't wait to move to Baltimore and start this program.

@NeurosciTMS, thanks for sharing your admitted students' day experiences, I'm not able to visit JHU, so your input was appreciated. I was debating between JHU and Michigan, but officially accepted my offer yesterday to attend JHU's MPH program starting this summer. Can't wait to move to Baltimore and start this program.

No problem! I am glad I could be of some help. I too was debating between Michigan and JHU and ultimately chose JHU (I attended Michigan for undergrad so my situation is somewhat different). Good luck starting classes this summer! I heard that MPH students get really close with the students in their cohort since they all start in the summer and basically no one is at school during that time.

For those admitted, how long did it take from the time your application said "sent to department for review" until you heard you were accepted?

If it's over 10 weeks, just call them. When I called, I received my admission email the next day.

Took like 2 months for me but my dept deadline wasn't until April 1st. I e-mailed the admissions committee and they gave me a decision a week later

Hello everyone, I'm an incoming MSPH student in Fall 2014. I've lived in Baltimore for 10 years and LOVE it here. I have lived in both Charles Village and Mt. Vernon. Though it can be a little more expensive than random neighborhoods, living anywhere along the shuttle line if you don't have a car is great! The shuttle is incredibly easy to use and comes very often. I'm not as familiar with the area right around the SPH but I'm sure walking/biking is nice too!

Hello everyone, I'm an incoming MSPH student in Fall 2014. I've lived in Baltimore for 10 years and LOVE it here. I have lived in both Charles Village and Mt. Vernon. Though it can be a little more expensive than random neighborhoods, living anywhere along the shuttle line if you don't have a car is great! The shuttle is incredibly easy to use and comes very often. I'm not as familiar with the area right around the SPH but I'm sure walking/biking is nice too!

Thats great! I am an incoming MHS student in EPI in Fall 2014. Have you started looking for housing yet? If so, what resources have you used? I want to live in Charles Village or Mt. Vernon since they are along the Hopkins shuttle route and I don't think I want to purchase a car, but I am having a hard time figuring out who to contact and how to find a suitable apartment/row home. I want to have multiple roommates to minimize the cost but even finding that is not that clear cut.

I'm glad people are discussing housing logistics because I'm lost on the matter. Would love 3-4 housemates to cut down on costs. I'm also experienced with group living (lived with as many as 18 other people in a scholarship house during undergrad), so I'm pretty conscientious about how I treat shared spaces. btw, is there a facebook group for the incoming JHSPH class?

I'm glad people are discussing housing logistics because I'm lost on the matter. Would love 3-4 housemates to cut down on costs. I'm also experienced with group living (lived with as many as 18 other people in a scholarship house during undergrad), so I'm pretty conscientious about how I treat shared spaces. btw, is there a facebook group for the incoming JHSPH class?

Yes! --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/454365181331509/

Also, I need to find a place thats in between the Bloomberg school and the Carey business school as Im enrolled in the dual program. any leads?

It's hard to find roommates from a distance. Every time I've moved I've just used craigslist but with people I already know. Have you tried the JHSPH roommate finder? I know of current students who had good experiences moving in with other students even if they were strangers. For Bloomberg/Carey business school, if you don't have a car, my advice to live at the East Baltimore campus and take the green line (on the charm city circulator - a free bus) to the business school. (Or you can live in Harbor East where the business school is and take the circulator to Bloomberg, but I think harbor east is more expensive). Anywhere close to a stop along the green line would probably be good! http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/sites/default/files/Online_All_Routes_Map_11.png

Thanks for the information. I currently signed up for the roommate finder and so I am beginning my search for housing. It seems really convenient and easy to use. I am looking into places on the Hopkins shuttle route right now, but If I can't find any, I will look into stops on the charm city circulator. I want to be close to campus, but just far enough away. I won't have a car either but I can purchase one if I need to. Although I don't think purchasing a car will be necessary.

Hi! I am currently pursuing MBBS in India and intend to study Public Health after this. NOT QUITE INTERESTED IN STUDYING CLINICAL MEDICINE LATER.
Is an accelerated one year MPH the only MPH course available at Bloomberg?
How much of a difference there is, between a yearlong and two-years long MPH programme?
Which one is recommended in my scenario?

Hi! I am currently pursuing MBBS in India and intend to study Public Health after this. NOT QUITE INTERESTED IN STUDYING CLINICAL MEDICINE LATER.
Is an accelerated one year MPH the only MPH course available at Bloomberg?
How much of a difference there is, between a yearlong and two-years long MPH programme?
Which one is recommended in my scenario?

The one year MPH is designed for people with at least 2 years of relevant work experience and/or people pursuing higher degrees in other fields (law, medicine, business). If I am not mistaken, most people with no work experience and a bachelor degree apply to the two year MSPH (not including people in the ScM or MHS programs). JHSPH explains that both the MPH and MSPH degrees are professionally equivalent; the MSPH degree just offers more specified training and fieldwork experience.

Sorry for double posting but I have a fin aid question. Now that we all have presumably gotten our fin. aid packages, how do you guys intend to pay the difference (cost of attendance - fin aid)? The fin aid office estimates that I probably need $40k extra from some external source. I know this requires getting a loan but does anyone have advice for what loans to get? I know the fin. aid office is probably the best resource for this question and I have emailed them but while I wait for their response, I'd like to hear what other people are doing. I would be so appreciative if anyone can offer feedback. btw I'm an incoming student in the international health dept.

Hi! I have recently decided to attend JHSPH in the fall for the MSPH program in the department of PFRH. I will have to relocate to Baltimore and I wanted to start searching for potential roommates. After speaking with current students and graduates of JHSPH, I am interested in Bolton Hill, Mt. Vernon, Federal Hill etc. Also, I will be attending the Admitted Students Day events in late March if anyone is interested in connecting then.

Congratulations to those who have received acceptances this year! Very excited and looking forward to connecting!

Hi everyone and especially Bella,

I'm a 2nd year MSPH student in the Population, Family and Reproductive Health Dept. I'm going to move closer to Penn Station this summer because I'll be commuting to DC for my practicum. I'm looking for a female roommate to move in with me. I already have a lot of furniture so you'll probably just need to buy a bed and a desk. Two of my main options are Horizon House (8 min walk to JHMI shuttle stop) or the Mount Royal Apartments (3 min walk to JHMI shuttle stop). Both would come out to about $800-$900 with utilities for a 2 bedroom. I've lived in Baltimore for 5 years now so I know that both these are in safe neighborhoods. I can also help you navigate your first year at Hopkins and around Baltimore in general. Please email me if you're interested! [email protected].

Sarah

I remember reading that there is a recommended book to read before starting the summer session. Does anyone else recall seeing this? I can't find the name of it. Thanks!!

Hey guys! There is a room for rent in my huge row house in Butchers Hill (right next to Patterson Park and about 0.9 miles from JHSPH campus). Really nice area, less than half a block from the park, biking distance to Canton and Fells. I live with a couple and two women, though I believe one of the women is leaving in July. The room that is available right now will share a bathroom with me (everyone else has their own bathroom). House is huge so even though I live with a total of 5 other people, it doesn't feel like it.

Rent is $600/mo + utilities
Here is the craigslist ad: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/roo/4496606651.html but feel free to PM me about it too.

Hello everyone.
I am currently finishing my last year at GMU and am very interested in applying at John Hopkins for an MSPH in GDEC combining my academics with Peace Corps' Master's International Program.

In your opinion and experience, is it hard to get accepted into the John Hopkins public health graduate program(s)?

Also, I know someone renting out 3 rooms in a three garage home near Andrews Airport base. Rent: $600 (utilities included) Owner's preference: college/university students only. I can't find the craigslist ad but contact info is: [email protected]