Johns Hopkins Brochure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin4Life

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it me, or does it seem like there's a reference in every other page about how non-competitive the student-body is? They almost sound defensive. I guess they're trying to chip away on the cut-throat image undergrads created for Hopkins in general.

I don't blame Hopkins for seeking outstanding students, but it seems that in order to have a shot, you need to be a musician, athlete, artist, social activist, or a gifted researcher with distinguished high stats.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah i think thats just the way it is at the top med schools. They all seem to really love premeds who have done things that are substantially different from the average premed.

It just turns out that there are just enough of these premeds who play in a famous symphony while also being premed, or competed in the Olympics, or traveled all over the world, etc to fill up their classes.

Take Dartmouth for example. They seem to really favor those students that have had the fortune and money to galavant all over the world a few times over, and their class seems to be composed of alot of people who are significantly older than the standard premed.

To me, I get the impression these premeds getting into the top 10 schools are the type of students who get a 37 MCAT without really trying all that hard, and with minimal studying. They dont need to spend very much time studying to do good in their classes or tests, so they have lots of extra time to pursue the activities they love to a very high degree. This gives them a HUGE advantage in the extracurric department, compared to the standard premed who has to spend a substantial portion of his time studying. As a result, they tend to be famous musicians, athletes, etc.