'Johns Hopkins has first black female neurosurgeon resident'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly, it's not like John's Hopkins has been a historically racist or sexist institution and they've suddenly seen the light, the fact that she's the first there is purely coincidental. If anything the pressure for affirmative action only makes it even less surprising.
Hopkins not known to be historically racist?? I recommend reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks..I'm sorry by 60 years ago is not long enough time to forget Hopkins' transgressions. Obviously such behavior was rampant at the time but I'm just addressing your point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
You know, people talk about how premed use SDN then don't come back as medical students or residents to pay it forward. I've always said to myself that I would be sure to stay active and help those behind me. But honestly, threads like this, or rather the degradation of threads like this is such an embarrassment for this site. For those that only want to bring a positive force in the world, they probably want to be far away from SDN and the evolution of every thread into a cesspit.

Someone shared a positive outcome for someone. If it said the first Native American, first Hispanic, first Filipina, first Hawaiian, first Vietnamese, I really don't care what, but it's a positive outcome no matter what. Someone was successful, be happy for them. They are a role model for others, appreciate them.

If it isn't positive for you, don't comment. Why the need to argue with people on whether or not something is important to them? Seriously, the level of maturity here is appalling.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If it isn't positive for you, don't comment.
tumblr_o8mapwlDi31rlpicfo1_500.gif

The whole if you have nothing nice to say thing doesn't resonate much on SDN.

Why the need to argue with people on whether or not something is important to them?
Because we have to make sure we keep the SDN motto of immaturity and selfishness alive.

However you spin that story, it is impressive. Sure, pretend you don't see color :rolleyes:. A woman got into a neurosurgery program at Hopkins. Still extremely impressive. If she were here on SDN, we would want to know how and even ask her to do an AMA. People have had threads dedicated to them for much less.

Members don't see this ad :)
Her board score is weak but 34 publications probably made up for it. How the **** does one get 34 publications in medical school?

How do you know her board score? And how do board scores impact the quality of a physician?

you don't take adversity very well do you. Just because you made yourself look silly in an argument doesn't mean you can turn it around by attacking my character. This is an online message board and you're loosing your cool in a very apparent way. I feel very sorry for you when you have to encounter real life arguments.

It's a new day. Sun is shining. Birds are chirping. Spring is here. Let it go, sweetie.

The derailing is a bit of an eyesore, for that I apologize. However, I do not care if you're the attorney general, a med student, pre med...whatever. The SDN groupthink that is exacerbated by anonymity and keyboard warrior culture, is a joke. I'm not one to be intimidated by it or keep quiet about nonesense. People aren't used to seeing that and should adjust accordingly. Otherwise, thread can continue business as usual! :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's a new day. Sun is shining. Birds are chirping. Spring is here. Let it go, sweetie.

The derailing is a bit of an eyesore, for that I apologize. However, I do not care if you're the attorney general, a med student, pre med...whatever. The SDN groupthink that is exacerbated by anonymity and keyboard warrior culture, is a joke. I'm not one to be intimidated by it or keep quiet about nonesense. People aren't used to seeing that and should adjust accordingly. Otherwise, thread can continue business as usual! :)

The troll is now content with a full belly and has returned to complacency.

Reactions: 3 users
Hopkins not known to be historically racist?? I recommend reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks..I'm sorry by 60 years ago is not long enough time to forget Hopkins' transgressions. Obviously such behavior was rampant at the time but I'm just addressing your point.

That's a good point. I suppose I was speaking in terms of recent history and specifically about the matching and admissions procedures in response to someone's rediculous implication that they should be ashamed and implied that there is current racial bias in the match procedure, but going back far enough that is certainly a very dark stain on JH.

Can I just say that out of reading this entire garbage fire of a thread, your posts are the ones that made my eyes bleed the most.

Brilliantly played, OP, on a sensational troll.

Can I just say that out of reading this entire garbage fire of a thread, your posts are the ones that made my eyes bleed the most.

Brilliantly played, OP, on a sensational troll.

*Doing my best Dr. Cox voice* "I can't believe your eyes are bleeding. If your eyes bleed you'll never make it as a doctor. I mean come on, you look ridiculous."